Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! labwork in a.m. forgot...

Posted by cateyanne (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 23:38

I would appreciate someone's opinion. I am scheduled for lab work at 9:00a.m. tomorrow. I was told to fast for 12 hours with only water. I totally forgot when at 10:00 p.m. my husband offered me 1/2 of his candy bar! What a dunce, chocolate in front of my face and I forgot I was even fasting, until just now. I should have stopped all food at 9:00, does anyone know if I have messed up this test? It wouldn't be such a big deal but I had to take time off from work and that won't be easy to do again. I can't call the office and ask the nurse until after the time I should be at work. I don't normally have this kind of thing done so I am unfamiliar with how strict that 12 hour time is. anyone with more experience who can offer help? I'd much appreciate it. Oh, and when they say water-do you know if there is a limit? It was so hot and I practically drank a whole bottle between 9 and 10 this evening. I started thinking maybe I was just supposed to have a sip if necessary. I don't know what type of tests are being done. The nurse just said they'd take some blood and urine sample and I'd be out in 20 minutes. I'm assuming they will e checking cholesterol and blood sugar levels at least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! labwork in a.m. forgot...

The water is OK- no limits.

As far as the candy bar, it should be OK as long as you don't have a very slow metabolism. Candy bars don't have much fat, so it shouldn't affect your cholesterol or triglycerides reading much. And the blood sugar effect will be long gone. Keep the appointment. At the worst, you may have to go back in for another blood draw if there is any question about the effect the candy bar had on your lab work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here