Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

A supplemental insurance plan with Medicare?

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 22:38

I need to find a supplemental plan that will pay ALL of the extra that Medicare doesn't pay and I don't know where to start looking. Do I just start calling major insurance companies? My main concern is the high rate of heart disease that runs in my family and the high cost of surgery, which I hope never happens to me, but if I go by my family history, it will eventually affect me. I have five sisters, 3 that have had bypass surgery and my mother died after heart surgery. The two other sisters have had stents. This is why I need excellent additional coverage.

Is there a site where you can read about supplemental plans to go along with Medicare? If you have a supplemental plan, do you mind sharing the name of the company? Please feel free to email me.

I need to read up on Medicare as this is all new to me. Does Medicare typically pay 80% and I need to find a company that will cover the other 20%?

Thanks, Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: A supplemental insurance plan with Medicare?

Do a google search for Medicare Suppliment Insurance. You'll get tons of sites.

Stick with a major company like Blue Cross, Aetna or AARP.

RE: A supplemental insurance plan with Medicare?

I second what Agnes said. My mother has AARP for Medicare Part B. She hasn't had to pay out of pocket for years (including major surgery 6 years ago)

Here is a link that might be useful: Medicare Part B

RE: A supplemental insurance plan with Medicare?

My husband will turn 65 in December. He just signed up for Secure Horizons, which sounds like it will cover just about everything Medicare doesn't, almost too good to be true, but worth a try to check into for you. Good luck.

RE: A supplemental insurance plan with Medicare?

AARP supplemental insurance priced me right out of it...I went to Blue Cross-Blue Shield. So far I've paid a total of $4.60 for office calls, sonogram on legs, back X-rays, mammogram, blood work, urine analysis, etc.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here