Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 03 at 22:06

Could someone tell me the difference between codein and hydrocodone? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: codein - hydrocodone?

Not much.

codeine is the basic drug
hydrocodone is an altered form of it, with higher cough suppressant properties, and stronger. Five mg of hydrocodone is equivalent to 30 mg of codeine when administered orally.

o

If you are taking it for cough, watch out for constipation. And for that reason, try to limit it's use.

o

Thanks so much to both of you. That answers my question.

o

Hydrocodone is a pain killer. Has nothing to do with cough suppressant. It is substituted for Vicadin.

o

codein and hydrocodone are both used as cough suppressants.

I copied this:
Chlorpheniramine and Hydrocodone

Generic Name: Chlorpheniramine and Hydrocodone (klor-fen-EER-a-meen and hye-droe-KOE-done)

Drug Class: Cough/Cold Combinations

I hope this can answer you question.

Check out this reference

Here is a link that might be useful: Other medications with hydrocodone

o

Yes, hydrocodone is used in the cough syrup Tussinex. It works well on the many people that are allergic to Codeine. You are right, hydrocodone (Vicodin) IS a pain killer, but also used in liquid form for cough.

o

Hydrocodone (Vicoden) comes in 2 streangths 5/500 and 7.5/750 the 5 or 7.5 stands for that amount on codeine in it and the other number is the milligrams of acetiminophen (Tylenol). If you take vicoden becareful how much Tylenol you take in addition to it. Tylenol is very hard on the liver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here