Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good grief! All I did was eat a small potato

Posted by devorah (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 21:48

I am diabetic. The advice you get from the ADA is to go ahead and eat most carbs, but in smaller portions. I knew this was bogus, at least for me, but I was shocked yesterday when I ate a small, new potato and my blood sugar zoomed to 255. That's the highest it has ever been. I worked out for 40 minutes in hope of getting it down and it did go down, but only to 155. In the morning, my fasting blood sugar was 135. I have never had anything like this happen before. I did have a cortisone shot yesterday. Does anybody know if that pushes sugar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good grief! All I did was eat a small potato

yes it does! check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: diabeties and cortisone

o

Thank you. I wish I had known about this before I had the shot. I am going to skip the 3rd. There has been no results from it anyway.

o

Skipping it sounds like a good idea to me! This brings up a question....was the doctor that prescribed the cortisone aware that you were diabetic? If not, always make sure that every doctor you see....even dentists... know about your diabetic problem. If he did, and was not aware that there could be a problem, hmmmm, makes you wonder about him, doesn't it!!!

I hope you are feeling better today.

o

The podiatrist that I saw was fully aware that I am diabetic, and yes I am wondering about him.

o

Be sure and remind him the next time you see him.

I did a google search and got tons of information on this. Of course, it could have just been a coincidence, but it sure sounds as if the cortisone was the cause of your sugar spike. Scary!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here