Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Constant leg movement

Posted by zoezoe (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 21:20

I have had this annoying problem for a while now that I can't seem to control. While laying down on the couch or bed, my right leg/foot is constantly moving. When I try to stop it by putting my left foot over it, then my left foot does the moving.

I am o.k. when I am driving a car or sitting up-right, it just seems to occur when laying down. It's a sub-conscious little annoyance that's starting to bother me big time.

Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Constant leg movement

When I first saw the title of your post, my first thought was "restless leg syndrome". But your symptoms don't really sound like that. RLS doesn't cause my legs to constantly move.... it's more like a tingly, itchy sensation in the legs that causes an uncontrollable urge to move them. And it doesn't happen just when lying down, but also sitting, and always in the late evening or during the night. Also, putting one foot on top of the other would NOT calm my leg that wants to move; in fact that leg will want to move even more. It is an uncontrollable urge to move the legs. For me, going to sleep is the only relief.

When did your symptoms begin and for how long has this been happening?

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: RLS symptoms

o

It's been happening for probably 2/3 yrs. now. However, I have just recently noticed that it appears to be getting worse -- meaning, that I am just more aware of when it happens. It never hurts or has shooting pains (as seen on the t.v. commercials), and it doesn't seem to matter if it's day or night.

Just weird, and uncontrollable, unless I really concentrate on keeping it still.

o

I have this also. But it's my smaller three toes on my right foot that twitch, all simutanously. I never knew it until my neice asked me why I keep moving my toes. It seems they do it more when I'm talking or in deep thought and it happens only when I'm sitting with my legs up or laying down (when my muscles are relaxed.)
I also have restless leg syndrome, but this is very different.

o

Mine happen when sitting and lying down, all the time for past month. Nothing stops them but walking. Even happens when I try to lay down and sleep. Keeping me up at night. Took restless leg syndrome medication but it did nothing for me. No pain or itchiness in legs/feet. Just feel the constant need to move legs/feet. Driving me crazy!!

o

Its probably a sign that your bored, and if your left leg moves, it means your annoyed. Look up Paul Ekman's macroexpressions and how body language reflects your mood, or thoughts.

o

I have also had this problem for quite sometime now. I feel like it is some sort of ocd problem or something? It drives my husband crazy and I really can't think of a way to explain it to my dr other than my feet move a lot at night while I'm sleeping. I'm thinking it may have somthing to do with nerves.

o

I have also had this problem for quite sometime now. I feel like it is some sort of ocd problem or something? It drives my husband crazy and I really can't think of a way to explain it to my dr other than my feet move a lot at night while I'm sleeping. I'm thinking it may have somthing to do with nerves.

o

Consider your diet first. I have not had that problem but I have had muscle twitching, that disappeared after looking it up and discovering that a lack of magnesium can cause that problem. Very necessary for the muscles and nerves. And it is not all that plentiful in the Standard American Diet. I had already been eating dark leafy green vegetables and thought that should have been a good source of magnesium, but the source I read, said that nuts and seeds have a lot more magnesium in them, so I ate nuts and seeds at every meal and in 24 hours it was cleared up. Raw, organic seeds. Grind them in a coffee grinder, if you have trouble chewing them.

It is amazing how messed up our diet can be. Doing a little research on what is considered a good diet, takes time and effort, but is well worth it. It can get confusing. There is a PBS special called '3 Steps to Incredible Health' that I think is one of the best presentations out there. See if it is coming up on PBS anytime soon. Or they may have a copy in the library.

Organic vegetables and fruits with every meal and nuts and seeds often. Reduce the meat, the dairy, grains and the sweets. That is a simple way of improving your diet to start.

o

I've had RLS (restless leg syndrome)in the evenings most of my life... & I remember my Mom would move her legs so much while sitting at night. I was told people who had rheumatic fever as a child often got RLS later. I remember as a child wrapping my legs in warm towels as my legs 'hurt' so much & was told it was 'growing pains'(!) but as an adult I was diagnosed with RLS & put on L-dopa -a Parkinsons drug- & it has helped the RLS a lot! This constant feeling of the urge to move/jerk my legs is awful ... no cause for RLS or cure but thankfully some help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here