Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knee replacement

Posted by newmobileowner (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 21:14

What can I expect after my knee replacement?How long will I be off my feet? Will the pain be gone? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knee replacement

Do a google search for "knee replacement surgery"
There are many articles about what to expect. You'll need a cane or walker for several weeks until the joint heals.

o

I am 60 and had mine done in July.Had some pain for about 2 weeks and was walking without cane 3 weeks after surgery.Feels good now.

o

Recovery from knee replacement is variable, and know one can specifically predict your recovery trajectory. Most surgeons will have you up and moving the day after surgery, or even the day of, depending on the technique and your abilities.

A
A good idea is to get in the best shape you can PRIOR to surgery. If you haven't already done so, get a referral for some physical therapy as soon as possible. They can work on balance and strengthening exercises that will get you in the best shape you can be in prior to surgery. PT's know what to do. I understand that it is difficult to exercise with a bum knee, but PT can work with you within your current abilities to make sure you are in the best shape going into the surgery, which will make your recovery faster and safer.

If you are diabetic, make sure your blood sugars are in excellent control. Stop smoking if you smoke. If you have a few pounds to lose, try now. Water aerobics or similar classes can be great for conditioning/strengthening if you have joint problems. Consider learning meditation or other focusing/rejuvenating methods that make sense to you.

After surgery, keep your pain under control by taking medications around the clock initially. Pain control is essential to being able to move immediately after surgery and preventing complications. Make sure you have friends and family lined up to help out with meals, housework, and shopping for the initial weeks after surgery. This is the time to pull in those folks who say, "Oh, gosh, is there anything I can do?" Put them to work. Set up a schedule of who will help drive you to appointments and shop post-op BEFORE you have the surgery.

Just about everyone I know who has had this surgery says a few weeks later "I can't believe how much better I feel; why didn't I do this ages ago?" Good luck with your surgery, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here