Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Social Security disability hearing

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 05 at 20:30

I had my disability hearing on 9/13 and the judge said I would get the decision in the mail in 30 days. Anyone else been thru this? Does it normally take longer? My attorney is so positive we won, but I'm not getting my hopes up, but as each day paases i am getting anxious to know one way or the other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Social Security disability hearing

I have a friend who went through the same thing. If attorney is confident then go with it. After all, he's getting paid too. She got her answer in about three weeks or so. And a retroactive check a couple weeks later.

o

The success rate once you have worked up the ladder of appeals is really high. I think you will have a good result. Good luck!

o

Thanks, ladies, haven't heard anything yet, but I should soon. I'll let you know the results.

o

Ask your attorney to make an inquiry about this. Social Security is attempting to streamline and make decisions faster. Perhaps the judge was out of town or something like that. Good luck!

o

I "think" I have good news from my disability hearing. The letter from the judge came yesterday which says "fully favorable", but it says something about the Appeals Council may review. I read on the net last night that if you get a favorable decision, it's 2 to 4 weeks before you get a notice of award. I also read that when an ALJ (administrative law judge) makes a fully favorable decision, there's a very small chance that the decision is overruled. I'm not getting my hopes up too much until I get this notice.

My son said the Appeals Council is so busy reviewing those who are appealing their denials and those who only got a partial favorable, that mine should be okay. I hope he's right. I cannot begin to tell you what a difference this would make in our lives.

o

I would say - go ahead and whoop it up. There's always a review process. I wouldn't worry about it.

o

Gandbb, I think DH is whooping it up more than me. He had to take a medical leave (depression/mental exhaustion) this past April from his job for 6 wks. and he is hoping with my disability check, he can retire a little sooner. I tried to get him to apply for disability; with his depression history, I think he would be approved the first time. He would have to keep working though and that goes against you.

I'll whoop it up when I see the award letter.

o

Once you get a fully favorable decision, call Social S4curity every 30 days and ask for "status". The toll free number is 1-800-772-1213. Most people get paid within the first 30 days, but anything over 90 days is highly unusual, may need a senator or congressperson to get involved. Just my $.02. I used to work in a Social Security field office.

o

Jannie, thanks so much. If I haven't rec'd an award letter by 11/22, I will call them. I haven't called my attorney as he is probably charging me for every consultation we have had, LOL. I can't imagine what his bill is going to be, so I probably won't have much backpay left.

Does the Appeals Council review all fully favorable cases? How often will I be going in for reviews?

o

Just an update. I am now drawing my SS disability and it has made a big difference already in our finances. We were able to pay our car off with the back pay.

Our son and DIL are really struggling and need a new stove, so "Santa" is coming to their rescue at Christmas. It's better to give than to recieve and since I received my disability, I want to give them a present they really need. I truly am blessed this year.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

o

I've been following your anxious wait & am delighted for you.

Merry, Merry Christmas!

Suzi

o

Congratulations!

o

So happy for you. I am genuinely sorry when it takes so long. I know what it's like to wait for mail from the govt.

o

I can sincerely share your excitement! son recv'd award letter 2 weeks ago ....first check for month of dec hopefully "in the mail"

o

I HAD MY ALJ HEARING 9/25/2013 WHEN DO I EXPECT TO HEAR ABOUT MY CASE

o

HI MY NAME IS THOMASINA I HAVE MS. IT REALLY BEEN HARD WAITING FOR DISABILTY. I HAVE THREE BOYS. I AM 32 YEARS OLD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here