SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnicebkind

Shingles Virus plus Ramsay Hunt Syndrome/Bells Palsy

bnicebkind
11 years ago

Oh how I wish I had gotten the Shingles Vaccine! I had even asked about it at Walgreen's, but they told me that Walgreen's only can give it to people age 60 and up. otherwise you would need to go to another doctor. Well, I am no where near 60, so I let it pass. I woke up 2+ weeks ago with a stiff neck, as though I had slept on it wrong. Sore for 2-3 days, and then I noticed 2 red spots, like a bug bite. I did not think much about it, until the next morning, when there were 7-8 more. Off to the doctors, and sure enough, I have Shingles, on my neck, ear, back of my head, and collar bone. A week passes. I go to drink something, and my mouth can't seem to function drinking with a straw. WTH? Husband looks at my mouth, and we think I am having a stroke as one side of my mouth is not working. Off to the hospital, where we learn that the Shingles has now caused paralysis of the left side of my face...like Bell's Palsy, but since it was caused by the Shingle's, it is called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome instead. So now in addition to the pain, insane itching, and burning of Shingles, the Ramsay Hunt Syndrome has added its own problems of having only one side of my face function, hearing and sight are also affected. Getting immediate medical treatment within hours is critical as they say there are windows of time when medication works, versus it being ineffective! So for those of you on the fence on whether to get the Shingles vaccine, and its cost versus risk, etc. I will suggest that if I had a "do-over" I would absolutely get the vaccine! If you read up on Shingles, it is miserable, and so many have months/or years of pain long after the rash has disappeared.

Comments (6)

• eandhl
    11 years ago

bnice, I just want to say I am sorry you are going through this. I saw both of my parents get shingles and know how awful and painful it can be. Both my DH and I are not candidates for the shot due to mediacal issues. I would most definitly get it if I could. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

My Walgreens told me that they can give me the shot but my insurance won't cover it since I am not 60 years old. The shot costs over $200 without insurance. One brother and one sister have both had shingles before 60 so I really want the shot.

• bnicebkind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: 97% of Shingles gone. It actually began in early/mid September, if I remember correctly. The day the spots showed up, I went to walk-in clinic (it was a weekend) & started meds that day. On-line says it is so important to get on medication ASAP. Because mine was on the neck, ear, cheek, back of head, etc. it affected the nerves causing Ramsay hunt Syndrome...also know as Bell's Palsy...left side of my face did not move. I could not close my eye, eat or drink right, etc. and it really messed up my vision and hearing, and basically you cannot leave the house as light really bothers the eyes, and they water continuously. I went to the hospital immediately when this happened, and they put me on Prednisone. Immediately the next morning, I went in for Acupuncture(because it was recommended on line)in addition to standard treatment, he did one session with very mild electrical stimulation to attempt to heal the Bell's Palsy. The Mayo Clinic site advises against this electrical stimulation, but I decided to trust the eastern doctor I was working with, after my western doctor (GP) said it had to run its course, and I read on-line that could in many cases take months, and in 30%...years.

The creams and ointments were not helping enough, and I tried several things I read about on-line...real people advice/experience on-line at Earth Clinic. This was very helpful. I used a combination of Calamine lotion (pink) when itching was insane, apple cider vinegar (very helpful (put in a bowl, cut a t-shirt into wide strips and soaked in bowl, and wrapped around shingles at night) but it stinks up the whole house and everyone in house protested..alot! I also drank the apple cider vinegar watered down as suggested on line). Aloe mixed with coconut oil and liquid vitamin E, (some suggest adding Cayanne pepper to this mixture to kill the virus). Zinc cream, whatever worked to get me through the misery of shingles each day. I imagine all of this stuff also helps with the scarring that can occur. Most of the shingles are now gone, but there are a stubborn few remaining that nothing seems to get rid of, and the itching remains off and on it the back of the head area. The skin is still sensitive to touch...even if it is hair that touches it. But it is soooooo much better, and for that I am so very thankful.

I am posting this to help anyone else who gets shingles. Immediately get medical help as there is a window of time, after which it is more difficult to treat.

• bnicebkind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: 97% of Shingles gone. It actually began in early/mid September, if I remember correctly. The day the spots showed up, I went to walk-in clinic (it was a weekend) & started meds that day. On-line says it is so important to get on medication ASAP. Because mine was on the neck, ear, cheek, back of head, etc. it affected the nerves causing Ramsay hunt Syndrome...also know as Bell's Palsy...left side of my face did not move. I could not close my eye, eat or drink right, etc. and it really messed up my vision and hearing, and basically you cannot leave the house as light really bothers the eyes, and they water continuously. I went to the hospital immediately when this happened, and they put me on Prednisone. Immediately the next morning, I went in for Acupuncture(because it was recommended on line)in addition to standard treatment, he did one session with very mild electrical stimulation to attempt to heal the Bell's Palsy. The Mayo Clinic site advises against this electrical stimulation, but I decided to trust the eastern doctor I was working with, after my western doctor (GP) said it had to run its course, and I read on-line that could in many cases take months, and in 30%...years.

The creams and ointments were not helping enough, and I tried several things I read about on-line...real people advice/experience on-line at Earth Clinic. This was very helpful. I used a combination of Calamine lotion (pink) when itching was insane, apple cider vinegar (very helpful (put in a bowl, cut a t-shirt into wide strips and soaked in bowl, and wrapped around shingles at night) but it stinks up the whole house and everyone in house protested..alot! I also drank the apple cider vinegar watered down as suggested on line). Aloe mixed with coconut oil and liquid vitamin E, (some suggest adding Cayanne pepper to this mixture to kill the virus). Zinc cream, whatever worked to get me through the misery of shingles each day. I imagine all of this stuff also helps with the scarring that can occur. Most of the shingles are now gone, but there are a stubborn few remaining that nothing seems to get rid of, and the itching remains off and on it the back of the head area. The skin is still sensitive to touch...even if it is hair that touches it. But it is soooooo much better, and for that I am so very thankful.

I am posting this to help anyone else who gets shingles. Immediately get medical help as there is a window of time, after which it is more difficult to treat.

• d0ug
    11 years ago

If you want a alternative treatment look into colloidal silver My uncle suffered for years and when he tried he could not believe the help it gave him. Before he could not go outside now he travels where he wants.

• bnicebkind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: I am now 99% better, The area in the back of my scalp still itches a lot, but only at random times...not all the time. The neck, ear, collarbone, and jaw line has healed for the most part, but there remains a vague sensation where the skin has a heightened sensitivity that feels vaguely different then areas that did not have shingles.

For those of you who know someone with shingles, it is miserable. It is very difficult to sleep, as the itching is insane, and yet the skin is so sensitive to touch. The nerve endings make it painful. Again, I found that getting on medication ASAP is critical, and I found the suggestions of those who had it on a site called Earth Clinic very helpful...like Apple Cider Vinegar, coconut oil mixed with Vitamin E drops and pure aloe. That white Zinc cream you put on kids to protect from sunburn. The pink Calamine lotion at times helped the itching enough that I could sleep for at least 3 hours, before applying more. I pray that those of you who are suffering from this will find some relief.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022