Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Constipation Problems

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 18:41

I am having a lot of problems in passing stool, doesn't matter if I am constipated or not. I take bran, grapes, tomato juice, flaxsed tea and metamucil each day. I have severe diverticulosis and a very prolapsed bladder. They tell me I am not a candidate for a sigmoidoscope. My Dr. told me if I did have colon cancer and nothing was done, I might live 10 years but at my age I probably wouldn't live that long anyway.Thanks a lot!!! Could a Cscan show if there was some type of blockage that is causing this problem? To say the least I am very frustrated. To-day he prescribed lactulose to use along with all the others including the metamucil. He prefers to use as many natural products as possible instead of a laxative.

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Constipation Problems

If you have a prolapsed bladder, it's a very good chance that the wall of the colon also bulges into the vagina. Is there a reason why your doctor has not suggest that you have this repaired? You don't mention your age, but unless you are in very poor condition, surgery would be better than allowing the prolapsed bladder to continue. They usually don't drain properly and that causes hard to cure bladder infections.

What happens is that the stool instead of pushing where it should, it pushes against the weakened colon wall and nothing happens.

An Xray taken as part of a GI series would show blockage. So would a barium enema. The walls of the colon are outlined by the barium. It should show any blockage just as it shows the diverticulosis.

o

I agree with angespuffin. I think you just don't have the muscle tone in there to get it out. I have a falling bladder too, and have the same problem. I think you need to find another doctor. Lots of older women have the surgery to tack up their bladders.
What happens if you don't take all that fiber stuff? I'm thinking it might come out a little easier without that stuff!

o

Thanks for your reply. It makes a lot of sense. I had a hysterectomy in 1972 and a great deal of repair done at that time, very large cystocele, very large rectocele, a rupture repaired in the uretha tube, one more repaired but I don't remember where it was, the small intestine had also dropped down into the large intestine. It was the most extensive repair that my gynecologist had ever performed. Because of this he says that surgery would be very dificult and the results could be complete loss of bladder control. I have an appointment with him next month and have many questions for him. He has been my gynecologist for 34 years. He had a heart attack a few years ago and is not doing any surgery anymore. However, he was considered to be extrememly good. I really don't see a lot of other choices, but what do I know. I tried pessaries but we did not find one that would stay in. I have been prone to bladder infections since a child and am told the pessaries are known to cause infections. I made myself a type of brace to help keep the bladder fron protruding too far. Without it couldn't even walk more than a few steps. As it is I find I have to lie down for a couple of hours in the afternoon to get through the rest of the day.
I just turned 76 last week and am in pretty good health otherwise except for 7 bad discs and a slight hypothyroid condition.
thanks so much for your response.
ivamae

o
RE: Constipation Problems//

Yes, you are right - muscle tone is very, very poor due to very extensive tearing in childbirth ( not same Dr.). Nerve sensitivity is very little as well. I'm in great shape for the shape that I'm in.
ivamae

o

Now, let me say one thing and please don't misunderstand. I am not criticizing your doctor. Judging by the length of time that you having been going to your Gynecologist, I would guess that he is getting older. Quite often the older men have not kept up with the newer procedures. Different Medical Schools also teach different ways of doing things. Some Urologists also do this type of repair work and might offer a better outlook for you. There is one procedure where they use a type of mesh to reinforce the vaginal walls during an A and P repair.

It might be well worth your while to get a second opinion. Loss of bladder control might be avoided. Perhaps you could just have the Anterior wall repaired.

If the lost of muscle tone is what is causing your constipation problems, and I am pretty sure it is, what you eat is not going to help. I don't know much about suppositories, but there maybe something in that line that would be helpful. I know that they use very special ones in Nursing Homes that work within a certain period of time. They prefer to use suppositories rather than enemas or laxatives for their patients.

o

I'm a bit concerned that your OB/GYN did all that previous surgery. I think I would have gone with a general surgeon. And I'm thinking that's what you might need now. Maybe 2 surgeons in on the same operation? I would definitely leave the bowel and bladder stuff up to a good general surgeon.......NOT an OB/GYN. And I know you feel a loyalty to your present OB doc.....but it's time to get a younger one. Agnespuffin is right......there may be much better procedures out there that he hasn't kept up on.

o

Yes, I agree that I am ready for a new gyno. I'm hoping that he will refer me to someone else. When I had the surgery it was only to remove the uterus. No one at that time knew they would find as many things to repair as they did. My family Dr. was there as well and he told me that he was absolutely amazed at the skill the gyno showed. But that is 34 years ago and a lot has changed since then.
Thanks everyone. I will post aain after my appointment.

ivamae

o

Which form of flax are you taking? Flax can go rancid very quickly. To prevent constipation I suggest that you buy organic flax seeds, a small coffee grinder and grind it daily. You should take about 2 T. daily. Keep it in the refrigerator. Get off of the metamucil. The flax seeds are far better with no side effets. This is by no means the fix you are looking for, however, it will keep your stools soft and malleable.
Robin

o

I know what you mean about flaxseed going rancid, so only buy a small amount at a time. It is the regular flaxseed -not the bleached. I steep a heaping tablespoon in a little over a cup of water until it is very thick and drink the tea. It is to the point now, where the stools are soft enough , for some reason they still are very difficult to pass. I think it is a conbination of the bladder problem, hemmoroids, polyps or weakened colon wall and lack of muscle tone that is causing this. I personally think surgery is the only answer but I will see what I am told at my appointment. I expect I will be asking for a referral to someone else if it isn't suggested.

Thanks eveyone.
ivamae

o

Flaxseed will not go rancid if kept in a glass jar in your refrigerator. It is the whole seed. Some seeds are brown and some are golden. Both are good. Do not buy bleached seeds. The tea will not give you the fibre that you need. It is the fibre and the omega 3 that you will get from the seed not from the tea. Good luck to you.
Robin

o

Drink 8 glasses of water each day, increase your fruit and veggie intake and exercise. Cut down on your sugar intake and stay away from all soda especially diet soda which is far worse than the 10-12 teaspoons of sugar used in every 8 oz. can of pop. You have multiple problems and a good diet is an excellent start.
Robin

o

I forgot to mention that if you have high blood pressure or diabetes you should not take flax seeds daily. Alternate with sunflower seeds.
Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here