Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parabens - are you worried?

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 18:06

.. in cosmetics, hair products, etc.?

I feel like I am behind the times. I only found out about parabens last week... I've used Cetaphil, foundation, Roc creams, etc. etc. all with parabens... not to mention hair products which also contain parabens.

It seems the more I am reading about this preservative, the more I am worried. Apparently, this is one toxin that stays in your body... and mimics estrogen.

Anyone care to comment on "parabens"... I am stressed about this information and feel rather "dumb" that I am JUST NOW finding out about it (although many I have talked to had never heard of it either). It seems that the information about how potentially harmful it is has been out for several years!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parabens - are you worried?

I wouldn't feel "dumb" about it as our government regulates it to have it in our products. BUT there is a lot too learn about so many things that are said to be safe for our health despite this. So, that being said, no, I don't use parabens, or products that contain SLS plus others. That said, I even watch my organic shampoos, soaps, conditioners, toothpastes, moisturizers, etc. It's pretty easy to keep it simple - toothpaste is coconut oil mixed with baking soda, Dr. Bronner's for hair and cleansers, and coconut oil for moisturizing.
Considering it's in so many products don't bet on a health public statement on how it's unsafe to use. One has to realize in a day, you are getting a pretty good dose - especially women! There are options though.

o

Thanks - Yes, toothpaste - who even thinks anything could be unhealthy with Crest toothpaste!

I wish I was as strict as you are, I am slowly changing my products but some I just love and it is hard to let go.

If you have a product with parabens that you just apply to the ends of your hair and up a bit, does that matter? I am thinking it can't penetrate into the blood if it is on the ends of your hair.... but I don't know.

Thanks

Carrie

o

Thanks - Yes, toothpaste - who even thinks anything could be unhealthy with Crest toothpaste!

I wish I was as strict as you are, I am slowly changing my products but some I just love and it is hard to let go.

If you have a product with parabens that you just apply to the ends of your hair and up a bit, does that matter? I am thinking it can't penetrate into the blood if it is on the ends of your hair.... but I don't know.

Thanks

Carrie

o

ooops.... :0(

o

Since you're interested...
PEG � 12 (Dioxane)- Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Contamination concerns
Propylene Glycol � FDA says is safe for general use but can cause cancer and contains toxins that affect reproduction
Proplyparaben, Methylparaben (parabens) � hormone mimicking properties; may cause breast cancer
PEG/PPG 38/8 Copolymer, PEG/PPG 116/66 Copolymer (Dioxane)- Organ system toxicity
Flavor - Ingredient not fully labeled � identity unknown
Sodium Fluoride - Cancer, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Endocrine disruption,
Sodium Hydroxide � Neurotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Hydrogen Peroxide � Neurotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Triclosan (Dioxane) � Endocrine disruption
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Hydrated Silica � Persistent, bioaccumulative in wildlife and humans
Mentha Piperita (Peppermint Oil) - Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns
Polyethyene (Dioxane) � Cancer, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Sodium Monofluorophosphate � Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Common additives and their (possible) effects. I only use condition on the ends of my hair. I spent 8 months experiencing hair loss and found the detergents in my cleansing products were causing it (along with dermatitis). Going natural stopped the hair loss in days! Yeah, I miss lathering products but oh well, have much better skin, hair and teeth now. Now let's talk food products, lol.

o

ok - YES, I'm "worried"

64 - been using crest 3D white (and before that all my life - Crest toothpaste)
Foundation, lipsticks, etc. etc.

Not sure I understand about the toothpaste - as no one has ever mentioned an alternative... especially my dentist

Thanks for the list - it sure is depressing

Carrie

o

I am 75 and been using Crest forever. I am not going to start worrying about it now. I am changing from expensive products to cheaper and crest is one I am dropping. My dentist's hygienist told me toothpastes are virtually the same. She uses Aim and that is what I switched to, 85cents a tube.

Another product in our bodies, rivers and lakes is the ingredient in Dial liquid hand soap, can't remember what it is now. The FDA or whoever decides this was debating whether to take it off the market.

o

Dial soap.... hmmm, it's always something!

Thanks

o

A little video on what's in your cosmetics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pfq000AF1i8#!

o

Oh my goodness - you have NO idea how worried I am. But not just about those. Mercury. Fluoride. Aluminum. Dyes. HEK293. Sodium Laurel Sulfate. Benzene. Fragrance. Anything that begins with "natural."
I have been totally organic since 2005 and gluten free since 2010. I do NOT use the large corporations items. They are well aware of what causes tumors and illness in their products and so does the FDA. (Just a note of info - 40% of the FDA's budget is supported by the huge corporations that make all those meds the commercials tell you that you need for life. Do you really think the FDA will find anything wrong with them until it is too late? Don't fool yourself).
You are on your own to do the research and decide for yourself whether you want to put yourself in jeopardy or your family.
Support small businesses for they depend on your trust. The larger companies no longer care for they own the politicians and can get away with quite alot.
Science testing is done by the very company that produces these harmful things - and the results are ALWAYS favorable - if not questionable. Never done independently.
While your at it, check the chemicals added to your processed foods. Genetically modified items are bad. Our government is allowing due to lots of FUNDING dollars. In pet foods. VACCINES. Medicines.
Generally recognized as safe doesn't mean that after five years of it's use/ingestion - tumors won't begin to show.

Stay healthy. Read the ingredients. Look them up. Find out how many factory made chemicals you actually put on and IN your body. And you wonder why things go wrong?

o

The chemical and pharmaceutical companies have been poisoning everyone for years. I have a tube of Crest for Kids tooth paste and on the warning it says Keep out of reach of children under 6 yrs of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed get medical help or contact a poison control center right away.
This poison destroys the brain and it is put in most people drinking water.
They have been medicating everyone without you knowing or permission

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here