Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simvastatin help ?

Posted by michelle2_grow (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 15:02

Should one take this for high cholesterol (288) without having a liver test first ? Gosh after reading all the side effects, I'm not looking forward to filling this prescrption ? Are vitamins, fiber, etc just as good ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simvastatin help ?

I take 10 mg a day. They did blood work first and I have had it done again at 3 months. I haven't had any problems and as I have said, mine dropped from 240 to 160 but I have added excerise and changed diet. I don't think vitamins alone will do it, or just fiber, you will need to add other diet changes and excerise.

o
RE: Simvastatin help ?

michelle--All cholesterol medication is hard on the liver. I think if you are concerned about the side effects you should talk to your doctor about lowering your cholesterol through diet. He might send you to a dietician who would help. In any case it would involve strict adherance to a "heart healthy diet" If you are not willing to do that, then the meds are your best option.

Fiber will not help Cholesterol and the only vitamin that will is Omega 3 or maybe cod liver oil.

I gave you a list of foods that help and foods that raise your cholesterol in your last post. It is quite easy to add them to your diet. Exercise helps too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here