Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"in network"

Posted by deb_pa (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 14:39

I don't think I will ever understand health insurance. Ok, I'll make it simple. If I go to an "in network" hospital and doctor and the bill is $500 and the insurance company pays $450 do I have to pay the extra $50? If so, why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "in network"

You may have to pay the extra $50. Some insurers waive the additional if they have a good price contract with the hospital. But keep in mind, if you go to an out-of-network hospital for your procedure, you'll likely pay a much higher amount than $50.

When we chose our primary care physician, we were careful to select a doctor who practiced at the local hospital we prefer.

I'll never understand health insurance either. DH was prescribed shoulder scans on each shoulder. I knew we'd have a co-pay & wanted a firm estimate of our share so we could plan our budget. It was excruciating finding the costs. Everyone I spoke to was surprised I wanted to know how much it would cost. Then after the procedure, the bill came & it was drastically less than we were told. Huh? And the point of me spending a week gathering info was what? Now I see why they were surprised I wanted firm costs, they seem to impossible to get & change with the wind or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here