SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Has anyone tried to come off beta blockers?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

I was put on Toprol, a beta blocker, about 5 years ago. I was going through perimenopause, and I swear it really made my BP go up. For a long time, it was a life-saver. It brought down my BP, my heartrate, it calmed me down so I didn't have panic attacks, and it helped my episodes of hypoglycemia.

But I think it has caused me alot of fatigue, memory/thinking problems, and I can't quit eating.

My doc knows that I'm trying to slowly come down on it. I'm famous for having rebound problems when I come off meds, so I usually have to bite the bullet, and hang in there, until the rebound stuff goes away.

Instead of cutting my pill down, I'm actually "shaving" it with an emory board, so I can do this very slowly.

But I'm only 4 days into this decrease, and I'm very anxious, and my hypoglycemia is back. Actually........it's not the hypoglycemia that's back, but the symptoms. Beta blockers tend to mask the symptoms....which for me, was great.

Anyhow......this isn't going to be easy. But I was curious if any of the rest of you had been on a beta blocker for several years and came off? What was your experience? Thanks.

P.S. I have NO idea why this happened, but the last time I tried to come down on it, my IBS went absolutely crazy. Maybe I just have too many beta receptors in too many places!?!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company