Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bad taste in mouth

Posted by michelle2_grow (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 14:34

I've had a rather odd taste in my mouth for awhile now. It's almost chemical like...sometimes it almost taste like fuel. Can't seem to find anything on the net that could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bad taste in mouth

I went through a period like that many years ago. I never did figure it out, but I ended up with some sinus problems. Are you having any sinus problems? Are you on any medication that could cause this?
Try taking some zinc supplements. Supposedly low zinc levels can cause problems with taste and smell.
I lost most of my taste and smell after a bout with a virus. Unfortunately, I never got it back, but I did go through alot of strange smells after that.

o

A bad taste in your mouth could be caused by sinus, post nasal drip. Since you don't have a sore throat it can't be from a throat infection.

I would try a saline nose spray. You can get it off the counter at a pharmacy. In both the case of sinus or post nasal drip the saline will dry up the excess mucus and should help the bad taste.

o

Oilpainter, a throat infection doesn't necessarily present as a sore throat, there could still be an infection present. I do agree that a saline nasal spray might help the problem, but if it is still bothering you in a few days I would see your GP.

o

Could be a cracked filling, cavity (decay), upset stomach...

o

i once had a strange taste in my mouth, turned out to be an old silver filling. It wasn't a metal taste that I had but a chemical taste. No tooth pain with it. My GP suggested seeing my dentist and he found the filling that was going bad.

o

Some medications can cause a peculiar taste, as well.

o

could be any of the following

post nasal drip
sinus
periodontal disease
acid reflux
cracked or loose filling
tooth abscess that is not causing pain.

If saline rinse doesn't work or saline nose spray, I would check with a dentist.

Fran

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here