Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What ??'s would YOU ask?

Posted by grittymitts (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 13:54

What questions would you ask about a neurological surgeon?

A very worried dear friend called me last night to ask for input regarding her 36 yr old DD who began to collapse without warning; regaining consciousness became more & more lengthy. Her 2 yrs of bad headaches were diagnosed by family doctor as migraines until the fainting began. Her 3 yr old daughter called my friend & said "Mommy's sleeping on the floor & she won't get UP Gram." Now someone must stay with this Mother 24/7. She's had to drop out of nursing school and of course no longer drives.

My concern is these sweet people are not at all savvy about Doctors and believe if one is "nice" they must be OK, and have NO idea what to ask. Yesterday they were told "MRI & CT show enlarged vessels in the brain stem; we've made app't. w/Neuroglogist in Columbus Ohio for Tuesday Oct 30th." They said "OK" and ask no further questions.

I told them to ask if they're Board Certified, how long they've practiced, medical school attended, etc. but other than that, I don't know what others to ask.

Although it's long distance, I'm willing to call them as many times as needed if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks! Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What ??'s would YOU ask?

I wouldn't be so worried about the doctor's medical school and they can probably get a good estimate from age about how long they have practiced...plus, not sure what you would do with that info anyway. If they ask too many questions like that, the doctor is probably just going to try to get out of there quick.

I would be sure they understand what the DD is being tested for, and what the test results mean...what they can rule out and what they may rule in. I would have them read up on enlarged blood vessels in brain stem before they go so they understand a little more about what may be going on (although it could just needlessly scare them so that's your call). Depending on what is discovered, they may also want a second opinion; they may want to know if certain hospitals/doctors specialize in the particular problem the DD may have.

I find generally doctors like to explain things first and then take questions. So, I would advise them to hear the doctor out first and then drill him if needed. Be sure they get the doctor's name and know who to call if they have any questions after they leave...which will almost always happen. I wish them luck; they must be going through an awful time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here