Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doctor 'opts out' of Medicare

Posted by oceanbaby (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 13:50

I am seeing a doctor who has opted out of the Medicare Program and will not submit a claim on my behalf. She has submitted a form to Medicare in this regard. I pay the full amount of the office visit to her. I do have a secondary carrier. Do I have any options? How should I handle? Do I just send a copy of the bill to my secondary carrier and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doctor 'opts out' of Medicare

Unless something has changed (and they change everytime you turn around) she is not supposed to see a person with Medicare unless she files for them.
I am very interested in what happens. Please keep us posted. I think we are going to see more and more doctors deciding to go this route.

Medicare is just not paying enough and the other patients have to be charged more to make up the difference. I did a cost factor study for my son's practice and for the time involved, staff time, supplies and record keeping, billing, etc. It was an eye opening experience!

I guess that about all you can do is to send the form to the secondary carrier. My bet is that if your policy is set up so that they are supposed to pay the 20% after Medicare pays the approved amount, that's all they will pay....and maybe not even that if Medicare isn't filed. If finances are a problem, you might think about finding another doctor.

o
RE: Doctor 'opts out' of Medicare

Medicare advised that they will not pay for services you receive from a provider who has decided to opt out of the program and I cannot file my own claim. I've submitted the claim to my secondary carrier. As this is a doctor I see only every six months I'll probably stay with her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here