SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Medicare and the Healthcare Exchanges

jakkom
10 years ago

If you're on Medicare you don't need (or want) the healthcare exchanges under ACA (commonly called Obamacare), unless you don't have the 40 quarters necessary for free Part A (hospitalization). The FAQ column below wastes too many words explaining the same thing different ways, but basically:

� If you know anyone who is currently paying for Part A, they can get an exchange insurance policy but,
� It will not be as comprehensive as Medicare,
� It will cost more, and
� Nothing has been decided yet about whether those who drop Medicare and go into the exchanges in error, will be charged the usual 10%/per year penalty for the time they were not covered by Medicare

====================

NY Times October 11, 2013
Q & A: Medicare and the Insurance Exchanges

(Excerpt) Shirley Mierzejewski was "very upset" when she found out her Medicare health insurance premiums will nearly double next year. "I cannot afford that, I cannot," said Ms. Mierzejewski, 77, who lives in Euclid, Ohio, and works part time as a receptionist at a local college. She has a private Medicare Advantage policy from Anthem, which provides drug and medical coverage.

"So I started thinking about the marketplaces," she said, referring to the online insurance exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act. "Maybe I could find something cheaper there."

But after attending a Medicare meeting this month at the Euclid Senior Center, she learned that the plans available on the exchanges are not intended for most people with health insurance -- and that includes those with Medicare.

Here is a link that might be useful: The New Old Age Blog: Medicare & Health Exchanges Q&A

Comment (1)

Sponsored