Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medicare and the Healthcare Exchanges

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:47

If you're on Medicare you don't need (or want) the healthcare exchanges under ACA (commonly called Obamacare), unless you don't have the 40 quarters necessary for free Part A (hospitalization). The FAQ column below wastes too many words explaining the same thing different ways, but basically:

� If you know anyone who is currently paying for Part A, they can get an exchange insurance policy but,
� It will not be as comprehensive as Medicare,
� It will cost more, and
� Nothing has been decided yet about whether those who drop Medicare and go into the exchanges in error, will be charged the usual 10%/per year penalty for the time they were not covered by Medicare

====================

NY Times October 11, 2013
Q & A: Medicare and the Insurance Exchanges

(Excerpt) Shirley Mierzejewski was "very upset" when she found out her Medicare health insurance premiums will nearly double next year. "I cannot afford that, I cannot," said Ms. Mierzejewski, 77, who lives in Euclid, Ohio, and works part time as a receptionist at a local college. She has a private Medicare Advantage policy from Anthem, which provides drug and medical coverage.

"So I started thinking about the marketplaces," she said, referring to the online insurance exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act. "Maybe I could find something cheaper there."

But after attending a Medicare meeting this month at the Euclid Senior Center, she learned that the plans available on the exchanges are not intended for most people with health insurance -- and that includes those with Medicare.

Here is a link that might be useful: The New Old Age Blog: Medicare & Health Exchanges Q&A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medicare and the Healthcare Exchanges

I don't think it will affect me at all, I am fully insured already and I don't have prescription insurance at all, haven't needed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here