Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dosage of xanax for MRI?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 10:24

Hi all,
I'm claustrophobic, and had xanax last year to go through with an open-sided MRI. I'm having a brain MRI next week, and I can't for the life of me remember how much xanax I took for the last one. I have xanax to use in small doses for panic, but will need more for this test. I just don't want to be totally zonked. I'm curious if any of you have taken xanax for an MRI, and what dose you took. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dosage of xanax for MRI?

Ask your doctor.

o

PLEASE ask your doctor so that he can alert the technicians about the problem. They need to know and they also need to make the decision about how much and what to give you. With a brain MRI, the dose may be very important.

o

Thanks.
I've talked to them, and its up to me how much to use. I found out today that I need a second MRI at the same time, so I'll be in the tube for 2 hours. They can give me IV valium or Versed, but I think I'll go with the xanax, since I'm used to it. I just wasn't sure how much to use to keep me out of it for a couple hours.

o

I would think that kind of medicine is so individualized. The amount that works for someone else could do nothing for you or totally knock you out. You know best how the dosages effect you and even how freaked out you may get. I wouldn't use someone elses miracle dosage amount.

o

Thanks carla,
I think I'm going to go with the I.V. sedation that they offer there. That way I can avoid the guessing.

o

Is there any possibility of your having an MRI done in a structure with an opening? I know they will use them for the obese and people who are severly claustrophic? Just wondered how difficult it is to have it done that way.

o

Hi aerion,
Actually, I did have mine in one of those larger bore ones. Its called an "Espree". I opted to have the I.V. sedation, but it hardly made me tired. I'm not sure if it worked or not, since I think I'm becoming a little better to tolerate those things without freaking out. It wasn't in a hospital, so they said they couldn't put me completely out. But it went okay.....even though it lasted 2 and 1/2 hours.
Now I have to wait to find out if I have a tumor or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here