SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

weird heartbeat issue-Ahhhhhhhhhh!

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

This started 2 weeks ago when (40+ yr old male) noticed my heart beating 'inside my chest', at night, after sitting in my recliner. It was annoying at first but the sensation did not last long. It happened again the next night too. I just went up to bed and noticed the need to take deep breaths for 10 minutes or so and a few yawns.

I noticed on a Friday (while looking at my 401K!) the deep breaths appearing at work! I googled and read about anxiety. I was dubious this could be the cause but after reading about anxiety the deep breaths went away.

The weird 'feel my heart beat' continued during evening hours almost every night as soon as I hit that chair. Sometimes lasting minutes, sometimes longer. At times I could feel it towards my left side. It would feel like a normal heartbeet but I could 'feel' it in my chest. Other times I'd notice it more towards the center of my chest and felt like more rapid beats. Its almost always in the evening when I sit to watch tv though. On a Saturday I did my grass and dug out a stump...no chest pain or anything. The senstaion returned that night though. Now I was getting nervous and decided to see my Doc.

I saw my doc who sent me for blood work that came back 100% normal. She sensed my nerves were freyed and set me up to get an echocardiagram and Holter montior to rule anything out. She offered no opinion as to what it could be, just scheduled a follow up a week after the echo. That test is coming soon.

I have been told by everyone its probably nerves and sometimes I think it might be. Sunday I kept my self busy even after I sat in my reliner, was logging what was happening to me. No symptoms! Last night though, when I sat they started again. It actually made me mad at first. I moved around and they stopped after 30+minutes. I then thought what if it never stops! Of course I got to bed and it started and I freaked that it would not stop. Eventually I fell alseep.

The best way to describe is one of 3 things: 1) a normal heartbeet but you can feel it inside...it rather annoying when this happens. 2) A quicker heartbeat in the center of the chest...whether it is really quicker I am unsure. This feels a bit more normal...like before going to the dentist. 3) Perhaps a normal heart beat but more intense. When this occurs its freaky because it feels someone is shaking me from the inside. When it occurs I of course become worried. Worst is trying to make it stop.

I have tried to check my pulse when this stuff occurs. Its usually 84 or less. Sometimes it feels normal...sometimes the pulse feels like its perhaps skipping a beat. Other times it seams erratic. I just read breathing can affect the pulse rate so I may be checking it wrong or at the wrong times.

Needless to say I find myself anxious and on edge and even lightheaded worrying about this....(or is the lightheadedness from the heart!) To be honest I am getting a little light headed just writing this!

The deep breath thing returned for a few hours yesterday morning but once I was ingrained in my project at work it went away.

I am a logical person who likes to think things thru. I find it hard to believe one could worry themsleves into feeling their heart beating or beating erratically inside their chest. More so, if it were nerves and you realized you were nervous, wouldn't it stop. Thus I have convinced myself I have a blockage or swelled heart that hits my chest bone or who knows what.

I am starting to lose my sense of reality! I felt a strange pulling from my center chest early on, under my arm and around my back...........heart issue or from swinging that axe to remove the stump? A funny feeling in my chest after I eat, gas or the heart...you get the idea.

At this point I almost wish it is just nerves but man I can't belive nerves could physically do this.

Any thoughts, experiences....my echo is soon and I am terrified of the results. Will they see something immediately and keep me there...do they look at it later in the day and call me back...a day or so later....if I do not hear from them for a few days can I assume I am ok. Agains I don't to see my doc until a week after the echo.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living