Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Thoughts as to why Friend's Husband is Having Headaches?

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 8:56

My friend's husband has been having headaches almost continuously for 2 weeks. He went in for a CT scan which showed nothing. He has become very light sensitive and even the fan running bothers him. He is in his 50's. He is making an appointment with a neurologist this coming week.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Thoughts as to why Friend's Husband is Having Headaches?

Hi trudymom,
Had he ever had headaches before?
Has he seen his Internist? I would be sure he has a chem profile, CBC, etc.
Does he have any other medical conditions? Is he on any meds? Drink? Smoke? Lots of possibilities.
Has he cut down alot on caffeine intake? That can certainly give you alot of headaches for awhile. I hope he finds some relief soon. Headaches are awful.

o
maybe migraines

P.S. Sometimes women going through menopause develop migraines. Maybe it can happen to men too??

o

catherinet, I don't think he has ever had headaches this long. And I do not think he has been to his internist, good idea. I think he is healthy otherwise. Drinks socially, does not smoke. I think he still drinks coffee. Thank you for your thoughts.

o

I know this seems laughable, but I have a dry eye problem that causes headaches and the other symptoms you mentioned. It took me months to figure it out. Of course, your friend needs to see a nuerologist to rule out any big problems, but hopefully it may just be something like dry eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Eyes

o

There are hundreds of reasons for headaches. I've had continuous headaches lasting most of the month for the past 4 years - but only during the Fall and Winter...they go away every Spring. The preventatives worked sometimes, but the side effects from the meds can be as bad as the headache. I have recently been diagnosed as having Hashimotos Hypothyroidism and have started some medication for that...hopefully that is what was causing my headaches and I won't have to deal with them again this year.

Good luck to your friend's husband.

o

Hi again Trudymom,
How's your friend's husband doing? Lydia is right......there are sooooo many possibilities.....sinus, thyroid, allergies, etc., etc. Please keep us posted. I'm interested in hearing what the doc has to say.
Did the CT scan include the sinuses? I used to get horrible headaches with my sinus problems.
My ENT told me that March and October were always the worst for people with sinus probs.
Keep us posted!

o

Thank you all for your thoughts. My friend's husband has an appointment with the neurologist on Nov. 15th, so I will keep you informed.

Trudy

o

Could be a vision problem, too. I would have my eyes checked as someone suggested for dry eyes, or any other vision problem that would cause headaches. Glad he's doing something about it. Keep us posted.

o

H eneeds to have an MRI with contrast. Some brain tumors can cause headaches and they do not show up on cat scans.

o

I'll let you know what he has done on the 15th. He is still having his headaches, which he controls with Advil.

Thank you!

o

My friend's husband went to the doctor yesterday. They put him on steriods thinking it may be something called "cluster headaches." If that doesn't work, they think it may be an inflamation of the nerves in the head--I think that is what she said. And then they will treat that differently. The doctor said usually with cluster headaches, headaches are more severe than they have been. We'll see...

o

I have brain tumors. One of my first symptoms was mild, continuous headaches. One of my tumors was the size of a golfball and the other is the size of a marble. Neither show up on a CT scan. I needed an MRI with contrast to clearly see the tumors.

o

My friend's husband was put on cordizone and he has only had 1 tiny headache since and it went away with Tylenol.

dlynn, I wonder if he had an MRI with contrast. Thank you.

o

My friend's husband's headaches are back so I emailed my friend asking him if he has had a "MRI with contract." I'll keep you informed.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here