Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green smoothie recipe for my brother in law

Posted by reneea (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 23:51

Hi. My brother in law is coming for a visit. He is a meat and potato guy. He doesn't eat veggies, fruits, etc and is very over weight. I want to make a smoothie with spinach, and fruits that taste very sweet for him, so that he can see he can drink them, and taste good, and give him some incentive to go back home and start being healthy. Does anyone have a recipe that I can try with him? I have a vitamix. Thank you SOOO much. Wish me luck. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green smoothie recipe for my brother in law

I would try another color as most men turn green when faced with a green drink.

o

Men? Many women would choke at the idea.

Forget the smoothie (barf) and concentrate on good veggie recipes.

o

Hi Reneea,

I've cut & pasted a few recipes below- hope it's not too late. Goodluck with the visit. Nerry
Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie (use a 3:1 fruit to greens ratio)
Serves 2

2 cups spinach, fresh (tightly packed) or kale
2 cups water
1 cup mango
1 cup pineapple or papaya or frozen grapes
2 bananas- can sub 1 banana for 1 peach

TIP #1: Remember to get the smoothest smoothie and to avoid leafy chunks, blend your greens and liquid first, then add the remaining fruits.

TIP #2: Use at least one frozen fruit to make the green smoothie cold.

TIP #3: If you aren’t a big fan of bananas, feel free to substitute for another fruit. You can even freeze the bananas first to reduce the flavor and also add some extra chill to your smoothie.

Jackie’s recipe:- Here is one of my typical green smoothie recipes:

��" 1 cup grapes
��" 1 orange, peeled and seeded
��" 1 banana, peeled
��" 1 pear, cored
��" 2 handfuls of greens (I often use mixed greens or four leaves of kale)
��" 8 ounces of filtered water

My favorite is 2 bananas, 1 large apple, 2 kale leaves, 6-8 dandelion greens, 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, some wheatgrass juice, 2 cups water and 1 cup of ice. Blend and I have breakfast and my afternoon snack. This great stuff and I will not ever go back to eating the way I used to with fast and processed foods

Beet-Apple Smoothie

1 medium banana, peeled
1 large apple, cored and peeled
4 ounces fresh beet juice
Calories: 245 : Fat: 1g (grams) : Protein: 3g : Carbs: 63g : Calcium: 9% : Vitamin A: 31% : Vitamin C: 335%

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------

Kale is a highly nutritious leafy green to use in smoothies and is an excellent source of plant-based calcium.
Pineapple-Kale

• 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
• 1 medium apple, cored
• 2 cups kale, chopped
• 8 ounces of filtered water
Calories: 244 : Fat: 1g (grams) : Protein: 6g : Carbs: 60g : Calcium: 18% : Iron: 3.0 mg : Vitamin A: 693% : Vitamin C: 276%

Orange-Peach-Kale
• 1 orange, peeled
• 2 medium peaches
• 2 cups kale, chopped
Calories: 253 : Fat: 2g (grams) : Protein: 8g : Carbs: 61g : Calcium: 22% : Iron: 3.2 mg : Vitamin A: 731% : Vitamin C: 293%

Banana-Orange-Kale

• 1 medium banana, peeled
• 1 orange, peeled
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
• 2 cups kale, chopped
Calories: 241 : Fat: 2g (grams) : Protein: 7g : Carbs: 58g : Calcium: 21% : Iron: 2.8 mg : Vitamin A: 701% : Vitamin C: 282%

Orange-Kiwi-Kale
• 1 orange, peeled
• 2 kiwifruit
• 1 small pear, cored
• 2 cups kale, chopped
Calories: 306 : Fat: 2g (grams) : Protein: 8g : Carbs: 74g : Calcium: 25% : Iron: 3.1 mg : Vitamin A: 703% : Vitamin C: 420%
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------

Veteran green smoothie lovers will find this recipe delicious. However, if you are just starting out, I’d skip the cranberries, and I’d use a milder green like fresh baby spinach or romaine lettuce.
This green smoothie recipe is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients. It has 45% of your daily recommended value of calcium, 7.8 milligrams of iron, and it has 23 grams of fiber.
The nutrients in dandelion greens may help reduce the risk of cancer, multiple sclerosis, cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and stroke. Dandelion contains anti-inflammatory properties which may provide benefit to those with asthma and other inflammatory diseases.

Apple-Dandelion Green Smoothie Recipe with Pear and Fresh Cranberries

• 1 medium pear, cored
• 1 medium apple, cored
• 1 banana, peeled
• 1/2 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
• 4 cups of dandelion greens

Start by adding the liquid to your blender (I use a Vitamix), followed by the soft fruit. Add the greens to your blender last. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.

o

An FYI if you are preparing smoothies that contain green veggies always ask if the person you are giving it to is taking blood thinners. Too much green veggies can cause blood to thin.

o

great thanks i may try that recipe for myself :D

o

Nice Post I like all comments buddy. Good work

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here