Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Numbness in Fingers & Toes..

Posted by Berk (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 05 at 22:55

My husband has this problem not me.
He works outside all year plus he is a hunter too.
The problem is that when the temp drops below 50 F his fingers and toes start going numb. They start with the smallest and work across to the middle ones on feet and hands. They turn white too. Nothing he does, moving them, heat pads, putting his hands under his arm pits, seems to help.
He is going to the doctor for borderline diabetese, but has been going for 6 mo. and it has dropped down and they don't think he has diabetes now.
He doesn't smoke more then a cigar once in awhile, but does like his home made wine.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so do you know what it is from and what will happen out in the woods when it is real cold and he is hunting?
Thanks for any and all feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Numbness in Fingers & Toes..

Here is a site that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raynauds

o

Thank you very much for the link. I do beleive this is what he has, sure sounds like it!

o

Sounds like Raynauds to me, too. I've had it for years. One thing that helps is to swing your arms back and forth - it pushes the blood into the fingers.

o

I've had Raynaud's for many years, too, and two years ago it got a lot worse, affecting my hands so badly that I developed sore areas all over my hands and lost two fingernails. It used to be that my toes got the worst of it. I've found prevention is the best thing I can do for myself. Last winter I stocked up on disposable foot warmers and wore them every day in the house as well as outside. I stopped running outside without gloves to pick up the mail or whatever. I still had some problems with it, but it was much better than the year before. I'm NOT looking forward to the cold weather this year.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here