Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choking cause????Alzheimer's or GERD

Posted by AnnieIL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 04 at 21:04

My husband has early Alzheimer's and has occasional spells of choking that happen when he is eating. The choking/coughing lasts for about an hour. He does not seem to have acid reflux with this. But he coughs up huge amounts of mucous. Can't imagine where it comes from. Our daughter feels it must be GERD; while I think it may be that he is not getting the swallowing signal from his brain at the correct time; but what would all this mucous indicate?
The doctor did not seem too concerned about the choking/coughing episodes.
If any of you have experienced this would you share your findings with me, please? Annieil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choking cause????Alzheimer's or GERD

I would see another doctor. My mom was coughing up yucky black and green stuff, it was her heart. She needed a pacemaker, after wards the coughing stopped. My husband has Alzheimer's and he doesn't cough. I have severe indigestion and a H Hernia and I don't cough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here