Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ergometer stopped abruptly on purpose at 100% Heart capacity

Posted by gustavob (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 19:00

My cardiologist made me an ergometry that took me to 100% of my Hearth capacity, then he stopped the ergometer abruptly on purpose to see how my blood pressure drop was.

I almost fainted, my BP went from 20 to 10 in maybe less than a minute. Why did he do that? I couldn't ask on the clinic, he just said normally the test shouldn't be stopped abruptly and that I must do the same when exercising, not stopping abruptly.

Any ideas what the doctor wanted to do by this abrupt stop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ergometer stopped abruptly on purpose at 100% Heart capacity

would you say given the extreme conditions, the SBP drop from 200mmHg to 100 or less, is normal?

o

You need to ask your doctor about this. We have no idea as to what would be "normal" for you.

As for why he did it? Perhaps he wanted to show you what could happen if you didn't slow down instead of stopping abruptly. Sometimes a good example is worth more than a thousand words.

Blood pressure can do weird things. What's normal for one person in certain situation, would be abnormal for another.

o

:)) Thank you for your opinions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here