SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Reumatoid arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis

jenn
16 years ago

I've had pain in my hips (in the groin area) for the past several weeks. Actually, the pain began about 4-5 years ago but to a much lesser degree and has slowly progressed to this point. Several months ago I began cycling in addition to walking, and perhaps it was a bit too much all at once. I am not overweight, but I could afford to lose 10-15 lbs.

My hips begin hurting when I get up to walk after sitting for a while. They don't hurt as much when I get up in the morning, which may be due to a different position than sitting. They do not hurt at all while walking or cycling for exercise. There is no visible swelling or any of this type of pain in any other joints, except my big toe which has osteoarthritis (OA).

Someone who has RA said that my symptoms (pain after rest) sound EXACTLY like RA. However, only my hips are affected, I have no swelling anywhere, and no other symptoms of RA whatsoever.

My brother had both hips replaced due to OA (osteoarthritis) before he turned 50. I told him about my symptoms and he said "that's exactly how mine started". My dad has had one knee replaced due to OA, and the other one may need it in the future.

I'm wondering if any of you who has RA thinks my symptoms sound typical of RA. I know that seeing my doctor is the surest way of knowing, but I'd like the opinion of those of you here who are more familiar with it.

Jen

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert