Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Age 62 - never had hot flashes... but now

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 16:15

I am getting what can be described as a "hot flash"...several times a day and everyday. Could that even be possible? I ended my periods at age 50 - 12 years ago! Now, could I be getting hot flashes?

I need to ask my gyn but for now wondered if anyone has had a similar situation.

Thanks

No weight gain or loss/ 108 lbs. since age 20, no significant other health problems (that I know of) just had full panel of bloodwork - all normal (but I guess they don't check EVERYTHING - just the normal panel) I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, etc. etc. I never have fast food, eat pretty healthy...

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Age 62 - never had hot flashes... but now

I seriously doubt they are hot flashes at this late stage or anything to do with menopause.

It could be anything from high blood pressure to an allergy to something. My friend had a problem regulating her blood pressure and she had sweats when her pressure was high and was freezing when it was low. Thyroid problems can cause the same symptoms.I think a visit to your doctor is in order.

While you are waiting to see him go over everything you have drank or eaten. Is there anything new. A new juice or fruit,veggie or food. Then examine if you have used any new household product. Are you trying any new herbal product or soap or scent--including candles.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem

o

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and developed hot flashes at the same time. With the Synthroid (synthetic hormones that simulate what your thyroid should be putting out but isn't) the hot flashes have subsided some, but I still need to be in a room that is around 73 or less or I start sweating.

I am 42 and have been on the Pill without taking the placebo for 10 years straight (no flaming, please, I was in an experiment for women with violently painful periods and this was to see how I would do without menstruating. FYI, it works EXTREMELY well and the several doctors who have done my checkups say that there have been no adverse side effects, keep on as long as I need to!) so I thought maybe it was menopause but it isn't, when they checked my thyroid levels they were extremely unbalanced and are getting back in check with the Synthroid. I still avoid humid places but it is better.

Ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels, it is something that can go out of whack and you wouldn't realize it until your bloodwork is done.

Keep us updated, I am very interested to see what happens in your case, and if anyone else can chime in on their experiences with hot flashes I would love to hear your stories.

o

Yes, I think it is thyroid related. I was switched from synthroid to generic (have a nodule on thyroid for years - otherwise levels have always been normal), but because of the switch, my levels may be off. Calling Monday for test.

I bet that IS what it is... yay! that can be fixed.. hot flashes...not so much - Thanks

Carrie

o

I have hot flashes now that I am taking Evista for osteopenia

o

Effexoris a an antidepressant which proved to be found to reduce hot flashes...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here