SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

hypoglycemia

cateyanne
16 years ago

after feeling like was going to pass out at work one day, I went to the doc. and he sent me for a blood test which told him I have hypoglycemia. He said my pancreas was doing a good job of keeping me in balance, I was told by him that there was a medication he could put me on which would take the pressure off my pancreas and help to manage the disease. I can't remember what it was called right now. I asked him if there was any way to avoid drugs as I never have taken anything with regularity except migraine pills to combat my frequent migraines. He said I could try to change my diet by eating high protein, low carb food and stay away from simple sugars. Also eating more frequent small meals throughout the day, and try to lose weight. So, I started out following a high protein low carb diet. I had a couple of episodes, one in which I happen to be with a registered nurse who made me eat two packets of sugar while she took my pulse. She said my heart rate seemed to skip and thought there may be more going on since I didn't react quickly enough, in her opinion to the sugar dosing. I went back to the doctor and told him this, he placed me on a twenty four hour heart monitor and with the results, said there was no apparent problems with my heart and the episode was probably just me getting too anxious while I was not feeling good. So, I spent the early part of the summer following the diet, etc. and the entire summer was spent, episode free. I will admit, I got lazy, I went back to eating the old way and low and behold 5 months later, I am having symptoms in spades! I have been pretty much dizzy for the last five days. I keep feeling faint and dizzy and sometimes nauseous. I immediately went back to a very strict hypo diet but am not having any luck with controlling it. I can't seem to get this see-saw back in balance. I feel faint, I dose with sugar or juice, I feel better, I counteract the sugar dosing with some protein, later I feel worse again , dose again and so on. There is a lot of conflicting info about whether you should eat high protein or complex carbs to keep the blood sugar on level. I don't know what to eat anymore, if not eating at all would help I would, but that brings on an episode. This is my own fault and I'm just sick about it but was wondering if this constant see-saw can be fixed with food and not drugs? I feel like a complete idiot, I guess when I was feeling good I was in complete denial. Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? I didn't even go in to work today because I get so nervous when I feel light headed and worry that I will pass out!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz