Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural treatment for tinea versicolor?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 13:43

Hi,
I had tinea versicolor on my chest about 15 years ago. I took nizoral and it cleared right up. It's back, and I'm thinking I'd like to try something a little more natural. Anyone ever use something natural that worked for tinea versicolor? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural treatment for tinea versicolor?

When I lived in the Phillipines (Manila) 25 yrs. ago, I ordered Calamansi (the juice from this citrus fruit) from room service to mix with a drink. Instead, they sent up a bowl of this lime looking fruit. Apparently some Filipinos actually rub this on their skin to lighten it. Being Irish, I never had the need to try it, but some swear by it.

o

Tinea versicola is a fungus.
I am guessing that one of those liquids for athlete's foot would cure it...but I sure don't know.
Linda C

o

Thanks zoezoe and linda.

o

I'm not sure that this would be considered a natural treatment, but I can tell you that it has been a miraculously successful treatment...

I am a 25 year old male and have had a SEVERE CASE of tinea versicolor for about two years, as it has completely covered my stomach and sides of my upper body as well as a little on my arm. I have been, no exaggeration, to the doctor at least a half dozen times seeking various treatments, which have ranged from selenium shampoo, to ketoconazole (did three different cycles of this treatment), to lamacil,etc... and NONE OF IT WORKED!? I understand that the success rates are generally about 80% with each, so I must have been in the unlucky 20% with all of them. HOWEVER, about two weeks ago, I was putting on my favorite cologne, Locoste Red, and decided to spray it on the tinea versicolor located on my arm, just to see if there was any effect. The next day, it appeared that there had been some improvement, so for the next few days I continued to spray it on that same part of my arm, and within about three days, IT HAD COMPLETELY DISSAPEARED!!! Now, I dont know if any and every alcohol based cologne would work, but all I know is that after spending at least 15 hours of frustrating research online, plus all kinds of time and money seeing doctors, I promised myself that if I ever found anything that worked for me, I would post my testimonial on some of the blogs that I read to hopefully help some people out. And now, after spraying the cologne on my stomach and sides of my body over the course of the last week, I can say that without a doubt, and for whatever reason, the Lacoste Red cologne has cured my tinea versicolor!!!!????

o

I just discovered that I have this.. i thought it was sun spots from being in hawaii for 6 weeks but knew it was something else b/c the reddish/pink spots turned white since i came back. When I was in Hawaii they disappeared almost completely but came back since i returned to the mainland.

I am sure it is propelled by a diet consisting in white sugar, flour and any foods that will create a yeast based overgrowth in the gut.

When i was in hawaii i stopped eating wheat and it cleared up completely. But now that it's back and i have been eating wheat and sugar again, Im sure its related.

I will now also be trying Tea Tree Oil mixed with a little olive oil to dilute it. Tea Tree is very anti-fungal.

We'll see!

Brandon

Here is a link that might be useful: My Health Page

o

I've had this reoccurring problem for 27 years. Since my sophomore year of high school. I swear I got it from the football shoulder pads. The only thing I've found to work is selenium sulfide. You can get a prescription for a stronger dose, but I've found the easiest solution is Selsun Blue shampoo. Just rub it on the affected areas of your body. I do it overnight then shower the next. Be sure to wear a shirt so you don't rub off onto the sheets. There's the dreaded blue/green kind or a light tan which blends with my skin color better. I make sure I never wear a shirt I've sweated in or too long. This seems to make it grow fast! I've never been able to cure it , but I've been able to control it....... The key to controlling it is do not wear dirty cloths, reusing towels before washing, changing sheets twice a week and never think it's ok to go to bed without a shower!

o

HOMEOPATHIC EXTERNAL SULFURIC MUD TREATMENT
KILLS ANY SKIN FUNGUS - ALL NATURAL CURE
ALL NATURAL REMEDY
------DO THIS 2X TIMES PER DAY -----
1.) - APPLY MED THICK LAYER OF SAPROX (FOUND ON EBAY FOR $36.00) ^^^NEED SAPROX^^^ FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON BOTTLE OF MUD
**RINSE OFF - NOT WASH OFF THEN PAT DRY
2.)- APPLY THIN LAYER OF ALL NATURAL ALOE GEL (FOUND AT SPROUTS $10.00- NOT THE GREEN JUNK) ^^NEED REAL ALOE GEL^^
**RUB IT IN.
!!!!!DO NOT FORGET TO WASH YOUR HANDS AND TOWELS AND BEDDING OFTEN ALMOST DAILY!!!!
TAKES A FEW WEEKS
CONTINUE FOR AT LEAST A FEW DAYS AFTER IT IS COMPLETELY GONE. IF REAPPEARS DO IT AGAIN FOR LONGER TIME.
%%%%%%%% ONLY NEED 2 ITEMS *SAPROX* AND REAL *ALOE GEL* %%%%%%%%%
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

o

I have dealt with tinea versicolor for over 40 years -- until last week! I applied organic extra virgin coconut oil to the tinea versicolor rash on my neck and torso once a day at bedtime for about a week, and it has completely cleared up.

I have been using organic extra virgin coconut oil as a facial moisturizer for a couple of years and decided to try it on the tinea versicolor rash. I hope it works for some of you as well as it did for me. So easy and so healthy!

o

I had a fungus on my chest years ago and I treated it with over the counter Tinactin. I already knew to use it even after it cleared up. Worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here