Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to get my mother in my truck

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 10:48

There's a family reunion coming up and I want to take my 85 year old mother. She weighs 265lbs. and I don't know how I'm going to get her into my Ford Escape. She can't pick her legs up more than about 12". I have no running boards and don't know anyone with a small car. The guys in the family tried to pick her up one day to lift her but she said it hurt and she was upset so they quit. I've tried several foot stools and small step ladders but she's afraid to fall. Is there some kind of medical equipment I can rent to help us? Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to get my mother in my truck

I think if you got a walker you could put it around the stairs and she would be comfortable climbing up the step stool. Especially if you have a big guy on each side. She might have trouble with her balance and that's why she is not comfortable not having something to hold on to.

Maybe there is some kind of lift too. Call a pharmacy who sells surgical appliances.

You might get some info from nursing homes or hospitals or anyone who deals with the elderly, too if you call and tell them your story.

o

Surely this is not the first time this problem has come up. What do you do when she needs to go to the doctor, dentist, etc? Can she get into a car without trouble? If so, use a car. Someone in the family must have a vehicle she can get in and out of without difficulty. Or, if that's not an option, look into getting a hydraulic lift for your truck. If there is a hospital in your town, there is probably a medical supply rental place who can help you with what is available.

o

I have a good idea. My sister in law is in the same boat. I used a ramp. It's easy to carry one in the truck and all she had to do was walk up the ramp. A lot easier than a stool. I have a plastic one and it's not to heavy.

o

Great ideas ladies! Thanks so very much for your help.
I really appreciate your suggestions. I have till Oct. 12th. so that'll give me time to try these and see which one works the best for our needs.
Thanks again.

o

I have friends in that same boat. See if there is a medical rental place there, they can help you a lot with a decision. Sometimes we don't look at the whole picture, and miss the biggest need of all. Best of luck to you.
Darlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here