SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

Hypoglycemic seizures

ilovepoco
16 years ago

First let me apologize in advance if I say anything that strikes anyone as inappropriate or disrespectful on this forum. Because it's my dog that is having the seizures, probably caused by a pancreatic tumor (diagnosis based on blood tests.)

The reason I am posting to this forum instead of Pets (where I have already received a wealth of useful information) is because we are at quality-of-life discussion time with this sweet old girl, and she can't tell me if she is in great pain or unbearably stressed or anxious or fearful.

If anyone has suffered this kind of seizure, I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide about the experience and its after-effects. After a major seizure, my dog is distracted, very shaky and wobbly, panting, thirsty and hungry, and paces and circles for a long time. But then she comes out of it, and she is very tired, but happy to see us and physically and mentally normal, as far as I can tell.

Since her diagnosis, I've been able to manage the seizures by feeding her small meals 5 times a day (protein and brown rice), and this has greatly smoothed things out (the aim being to prevent her blood sugar from plummeting.) Also, when I see the facial twitching that signals a seizure, I can head it off with some Karo syrup. But once one gets going (if she's in another room and I don't catch it), it's pretty bad. She had the first really bad one about 3 weeks ago, and another last night which was off the charts - it was the first time that she seemed to lose consciousness and experience a grand mal-type seizure.

I know it's only a matter of time. She's 16+, has other chronic ailments, and has led a long and happy life. We don't want to subject her to invasive tests, surgery, or medications with nasty side effects. But knowing what she is feeling or experiencing would help me in some difficult decision-making. I love her to pieces, but do not want her suffering needlessly.

Thanks in advance. Again, if this is an inappropriate post on a human health forum, I apologize sincerely.

Susan

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living