Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pain and clicking when straightening leg -- anyone ever have this

Posted by hackwriter (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 9:30

I have been known to have sciatica in both hips. I keep it under control by doing yoga. For various reasons, I went a month without doing any, and I've developed a strange thing where sometimes if I straighten my leg from a bent position (usually while sitting), there's a flash of pain behind the knee and an audible click. The pain stops shortly after the click. I'm thinking it's related to sciatica, but I'm not certain. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I am 52 and generally creaky, which is why I do the yoga. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pain and clicking when straightening leg -- anyone ever have

Usually sciatica is not related to clicking in the knee. Your problem sounds like it related more to a cartilage problem. One problem that causes knee pain is called "chondomalacia of the patella". It generally occurs is young people, and usually in females.

Usually the pain with chondomalacia occurs after the knee is in a bent position for a period of time, and can be relieved by straightening the legs. Recommended treatment usually involves NSAIDS such as ibuprofen or naproxen, exercises to strengthen quads, and avoiding activities that irritate the joint, such as climbing stairs.

If you have problems with arthritis, that is another possible etiology of your pain. Problems with any other joints?

o

Nope. No other joint problems. Some intermittent soreness in one wrist, but that's usually dependent on how I sleep (and I am also on a keyboard all day). The pain is BEHIND the knee, in the pack of the leg where the joint is...so I don't think it's related to the kneecap.

Time to get back to those warrior poses!

o

Actually chondromalacia can cause pain in either the front or the back of the knee..so that could be the problem..

o

Also sounds like maybe the catching caused by osteroarthritis? One thing I've learned with my 2 bad knees is that knee pain can be funky in terms of knowing exactly where its coming from. Right now, my knee is causing my entire leg to ache, with every little pain at the knee itself.
I also have kneecaps that are off center. It used to help to wear a brace or tape the kneecaps over to the inside of the knee with special tapes. They would feel so much better in that better position. You might do a search on "knee taping".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here