Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metformin (Glucopage) - anyone taking this med?

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 04 at 9:04

I went to my doctor because my dentist said my blood pressure was high (150/90). My doctor wants me to shed some weight before he starts me on BP medication. He has me on Hydrochlorothiazide and Metformin (glucopage), and a very strict diet. He said he was prescribing a diuretic so this is the hydrochlorothiazide (which my sister said is a water pill).

When the pharmacist handed me the Metformin, I noticed it was for diabetes, which I don't have. I called the doctor's office immediately and his nurse said "if he prescribed it for you, then he wants you to take it"(not sure I agree with that philosophy). My sister tells me not to take it, but I read that Metformin can be prescribed for other things. My doctor is on vacation weeks so I can't ask him for three weeks.

Has anyone taken Metformin (glucopage) for another reason other than diabetes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metformin (Glucopage) - anyone taking this med?

My best guess is that you had some blood work done.....namely a glycoslated hemoglobin.....which if the result is high, it indicates that diabeties MAY be coming shortly. With this medication and a scrict diet, you may be able to hold it off. Now this is just my best guestimate. I'm not a doctor, but I do work with one in a clinic. Good Luck!!

o

i was put on metformin recently too...im not diabetic YET but my if my numbers get much higher i could flip over to a full blown diabetic. BTW i lost approx 15 lbs within weeks of taking the meds and my hunger highs and lows have diminished greatly.

o

My daughter took it for years then was told that she was misdiagnosed. She was told that it is used to keep you from getting diabetes. Some people follow all the health rules, yet are not able to shed weight like they want. The initial doctors told her that she had Policystic Ovarian Syndrome. Just because she did not have ovarian cysts doesn't mean that she doesn't have the condition. Because of the blood tests the doctor can tell if you will develop diabetes in years to come. If you fit the profile, then it is good for you to take the Metformin to help get your weight down. For these people not only do they risk additional health problems with the added weight, but also they will develop diabetes.

My daughter took it for about 3 years, then another doctor took her off of it. She is in the military so gets many opinions although some doctors are not as good as others. Her latest doctor said that they know more about Metformin and Policystic Ovarian Syndrome and that she does not have that condition. He told her she just needs to exercise more. My daughter and I are 5'3" and have trouble keeping our weight down. Whenever we eat it seems like we cannot eat what others eat - especially men. My daughter is in the Navy, and must stop eating before the men do, and also must always exercise.

THis is too long. I have other information if you want it. I don't think the med is bad, and if you have the condition, it is a miracle drug.
Sammy

o

Just found out that I am diabetic, but with taking the Glucophage I might never need to give myself shots. The doc said that the glucophage would help me lose a little bit of weight too.
Kathy G in MI

o

I never had any blood work done, but he does want me to have blood work done after I have been on this med for 2 or 3 months. I found out the reason he gave it to me was to help me lose weight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here