Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question regarding injections for very bad knees.

Posted by kat123 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 2:45

I have horrible knees. My problem is arthritis under my patellas. Cortisone injections no longer help. There's another option: an injection of a substance that's normally found in our joints & is a lubricant. It is made up of that natural substance plus something made from rooster combs. My internist is extremely knowledgeable & careful with her patients. She said that it has been around since the 70's and worth a try. It is a series of 3 injections one week apart.
Can any of you tell me anything about this or if you've had this done & what was the outcome? I am desperate. My knee doc said that I'm a very long way from needing knee replacement.
Thanks for any help available.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question regarding injections for very bad knees.

The name of the rooster comb injections are Hyalgan. I had them for about 8 years, twice a year - once a week for three weeks in each knee. They worked for me but by now my knees really need replaced. One doctor wanted to use a new drug called Synvisc and I thought, "well maybe he knows better than me", even though the Hyalgan had worked for me. The Synvisc did not work at all and I had to wait 6 months for the next set because insurance would only pay for 2 sets a year. A good doctor will tell you, "sometimes they work, sometimes they don't".

o

I know someone who had it done and she seemed to get some relief for a short peiriod of time but has had surgery since because she had other problems. Like you, she had cortisone shots for some time. I was told when I had frozen shoulders that cortisone helps at the time you get it but in the long run it actually does more damage.

o

Thank you both for your help. I'm going for a second opinion from another highly regarded ortho doc. I just don't know what to do. This doc does not use Euflexa. He gives one injection of Syncisc 1. I'll let you know and any more advice is greatly appreciated!

o

I had the same problem and tried all the different injections, some help for awhile, but after they wore off the pain was usually worse than before. I finally had both knees replaced in 01 and have never been sorry. I was in the hospital 14 days and had extensive therapy afterward, I was on a walker for about 2 weeks and after that used a cane for a period maybe a month. Discarded the cane and have not had any problems since> I was 75 when I had the surgery. Good luck in whatever you decide . Iggie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here