Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
doctor question, just curious for opinion

Posted by aqua-seas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 2:36

I am curious... my mother-in-law is currently in a psyche ward and my husband said he contacted her lawyer about some legal affairs. He said the lawyer asked him to get the dr to sign a letter. The doctor and hubby had a couple discussions and the last one hubby apparantly asked if the dr thought mother could handle investments etc. When the dr said not at this time, hubby asked for a letter for the lawyer. The dr never did. I think he was waiting to see how she was progressing. Mother is doing much better.

Tonight then, the dr called hubby's sister in to his office and told her that my hubby asked for a letter of incompetency on their mother.

He didn't specifically ask for that, but I guess maybe that is what it sounded like, maybe?

Anyway, just out of curiousity, if the doctor had no intention of writing the letter, would it have been better to just tell hubby no or tell sister that her brother asked for the letter?

The reason I ask this is that it has caused a huge, HUGE fight between the siblings. Screaming has gone on for hours. Hubby was trying to protect his mother for now, but sister thinks he was trying to pull a fast one to get control of her finances. I know hubby wasn't but to them it appears that way, I guess I can see that. Just curious for opinion as I sit here listening to the screaming back and forth. Thanks. sigh.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: doctor question, just curious for opinion

Since the siblings are having such a big fight over this, I suspect that the doctor was correct about your husband's reasons for asking for the letter.

It's not the doctor's fault if he did not understand ahead of time that your husband and his sister would fight.

Maybe he expected them to act like adults.

This is where it is important that neither sibling be allowed to make financial arrangements without supervision.

o
RE: doctor question, just curious for opinion

Thank you, agnespuffin. Another calmer sibling was told of the situation today, and seemed to understand where his brother was coming from, and also the doctor. (It's interesting to be on the outside looking in on the workings of these people.) He says he knows his brother's heart and that he wouldn't do anything to harm the situation, but thinks he used poor judgement in the way he went about it. Too bad my husband always looks guilty no matter what he does. Unfortunately, the doctor is trained to look for things and has to report anything he feels is off. It will be interesting to hear what the 4th sib has t say. Thank you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here