SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Green Smoothies

jockewing
14 years ago

I have been making smoothies for a while now, but I was getting concerned about the amount of sugar in them (although it comes naturally from the fruit). I use a handful of frozen unsweetened strawberries, a handful of frozen unsweetened mixed berries and cherries, a banana, a couple spoonfuls of plain unsweetened organic yogurt, and have just switched from regular OJ to fresh squeezed (about 1/3 of a cup). These turn out delicious and are extremely filling. I drink one of these several nights a week instead of eating dinner. There is no sugar, honey or other sweetener added as the natural sweetness of the berries is plenty.

Recently I heard about green smoothies, and thought it might be an ideal way to increase my green vegetable intake. Today I made my regular recipe as listed above, and added 3 large kale leaves, several large handfuls of spinach leaves, and about 5 stalks of parsley. It did turn the smoothie slightly green, but it was still delicious. There was a very slight "green" taste, but it was not at all unpleasant as the berry flavor seems to dominate.

Does this sound like a good recipe from a weight loss standpoint? I am worried about the natural sugar from the berries. But then I think, how could all this natural fruit and vegetables ever be bad?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!