Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood pressure

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 18:29

I used to check my blood pressure frequently at the drug store at my Dr.s request, as it was frequently too high. I haven't for quite awhile, but each time I did it was coming down a bit. To-day I decided to check and it was 112/58. I know the 112 is all right but what about the 58? Years ago I was always on iron tablets. My former Dr. who is now retired told me that I was a carrier for pernicious anaemia and that I needed to watch as I could develop it myself. Any suggestions?
Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood pressure

The 58 is a bit on the low side, but unless you are feeling dizzy when you stand up, it's OK.

If you have a family history of pernicious anemia - IRON will not prevent it. You just need ot have your hemoglobin levels checked once a year or so.

o

pernicious anaemia requires B-12 shots, not iron. The shots can be expensive, but if your doctor is cooperative you can learn to give them to yourself.

o

True. B12 shots are inexpensive if you give them to yourself. It's easy. You would need a prescription for both the serum and the syringes.

Did your doctor precribe iron, or were you just taking it? It would not do a bit of good for pernicious anemia. It doesn't do anything for high blood pressure either.

If you don't think you could sticking yourself, I am sure that you have a nearby friend or neighbor that knows how. The problem with B12 anemia, is that the body lacks certain factors that allow the absorption of B12 from food. The injections bypass the stomach and digestive process.

Check with your doctor to see if you really need to worry about pernicious anemia.

o

Thanks everyone. There seems to be some confusion. I did need iron when I was a teen ager and in my early 20's but not now for many years. About 5 years ago I was told I was no doubt a carrier of perncious anaemia and although I didn't have it, was told I needed to be watchful. That Dr. is now retired. I have had to watch my blood pressure, as the last few years it has had a tendancy to be high especially when in a Dr.s office - 190/110. It has gradually come down even in such situations but it is many many years since it was this low. I will keep tabs on it at diferent places as I have also been quite unsteady but that was blamed on a lot of stress I have been going through.

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

I have had to watch my blood pressure, as the last few years it has had a tendancy to be high especially when in a Dr.s office

What this means to me is "tendency to be high especially when under stress", such as in a doctor's office, in heavy traffic, in a slow-moving line at the post office/grocery store/you name it, family or money troubles, the list goes on. A trip to the doctor's office is only one source of stress. I believe the high BP is just the way that particular person responds to stress, not necessarily the result of being in a doctor's office. You wouldn't know how your BP is in any other scenario, so that's why people tend to think it's high only when they go to the doctor.

That said.... if you have a history of high BP and it is now low -- have you lost weight, started exercising, changed your diet toward the healthy side, reduced/eliminated salt or caffiene? If not, then keep an eye on it, check it frequently, and if it continues to drop then I think you should call your doctor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here