Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For women who suffer frequent yeast infections

Posted by Michelle_S_PhxAZ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 05 at 17:54

I was experiencing yeast infections with an alarming frequency, and I couldn't figure it out. I didn't take bubble baths, always cotton undies, but I was always uncomfortable. I finally figured it out:

My soap!!! I used whatever body soap was in the shower (Irish Spring, Lever 2000, whatever), but I decided to switch to plain glycerine soap (I like Neutrogena with no additives or fragrance) for washing "down there". I have not had any problems in months.

I hope this helps, I know I can't be the only one who this happens to!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For women who suffer frequent yeast infections

It's true - my gyno said not to use any antibacterial soaps "down there". Now I use Caress or Dove. So far - so good....been several years now.

o

I actually stopped using *any* soap right down there... I get close, but I rely on hot water and careful cleaning for the sensitive parts. (It does get perfectly clean!) I was having problems with both yeast and bladder infections. I also do allt he other things mentioned above. I have not had any problems in about three years.

o

About 20 years ago I had a similar problem but with frequent UTI's. I switched over to the cotton underwear, then to the plain white soap. Started drinking a little cranberry juice every day. The infections kept coming back. I finally read an article that mentioned TP. There was a rainbow assortment of toilet paper colors available back then (pink, blue, peach, mint, lt.avocado!), all scented. That was the culprit. As soon as I switched over to the white unscented the problem cleared up. I didn't have another UTI for years.

o

Tub baths are another thing. Soaking in the water allows the e.coli bacteria to migrate from the colon, where it is normal, to the bladder stem and the vaginia, where it isn't supposed to be. And then you get some dandy infections.

o

Another thing to keep in mind about soap - unscented does not mean no fragrance. Read the label carefully, and you'll see the products that say unscented do have fragrances. If you need soap with no fragrance of any kind, look for the labeling, "fragrance free."

Sally

o

I used to get frequent yeast infections. I also used to sleep in my underpants under pajamas or nighties. Now I sleep in a loose cotton nightgown and no underwear. I truly think the air circulation at night helps.

o

I get yeast infections very often. I am actually trying to get over one right now. I ate almost 5 plain flavored yogurts thinking that would do it....it didn't...now I got acidophiles..the refrigerated type...am trying that...worse comes to worse I'll do the insert at night thing...but I was wondering if large labia lips cause this??.....i was thinking the extra heat from the extra skin might cause the yeast infections to come more often? I am trying to research on the internet if this is the case....does anybody know if that could contribute to my frequent yeast infections...i have had probably 3 already this year!!!! (since January). Please help.

o

Hi Katy,

I used to get alot of yeast problems when I was on hormones.
What you might do Katy, is to sleep without any underpants on. Maybe wear a nightgown or nightshirt, and try to remember to keep your legs apart. That might help to dry out the area.
Do you eat alot of sugar and carbs? If so, try to cut back on those, as yeast survive on sugar.
Are you on any meds for other problems?

o

Katy, what do you wash your underwear in? I realized that I started getting them again when I began using a liquid fabric softener in the laundry.

First, make sure all your underwear is 100% cotton and not so tight (you need to breathe down there!) and wash them in water with glycerine soap, unscented, and rinse well. No dryer sheets, just hang them to dry.

o

My SIL recently found out she was diabetic via the same symptom.. persistent yeast infections. It is VERY common in uncontrolled diabetes as yeast feeds on the sugar. A pill twice a day, along with counting carbs, and everything is fine with her now.

If changing undies, soaps, fabric softeners etc., don't solve the problem rapidly, go to your doctor and discuss it with him/her without delay.

o

If frequent yeast infections are a problem, please get a fasting and 2 hr. glucose tolerance test.

o

I was diagnosed with hpv do you girls think that's why I have yeast infections in what feels like every other week?...I'm going to try the new soap and go shopping for new undies I hope it works
N

o

I personally have suffered from chronic yeast infections since I was a early teen. I have tried everything if the book. Two years ago I started using Essentials oils. I use a couple drops of Lavender oil with equal parts of Melaleuca oil topically if I even feel a hint of irritation coming on. Essential oils have been the only thing that has helped me with this problem. I haven't had to purchase any over the counter medicine since I have first started using them. I also love the fact that I always have it available when I need it. Amazing stuff.

o

Moisture is a major contributor toward getting a yeast infections. Bathing in a tub is okay just do not lay in hot water for a long time. Soap has nothing to do with it.

The doctor couldn't figure out why I had a bacterial problem every month. He sent me to an allergists who had made his own test for yeast and bacterial problems. Low and behold I was allergic to my own body's bacteria that was released every month. So be sure of what you have.
____
Avoid douches

Avoid scented hygiene products like bubble bath, sprays, pads, and tampons

Change tampons and pads often during your period

Avoid tight underwear or clothes made of synthetic fibers

Wear cotton underwear and pantyhose with a cotton crotch

Change out of wet swimsuits and exercise clothes as soon as you can

Avoid hot tubs and very hot baths

o

for past 5 to 6 years i would be getting yest infection. I take showers every day but i never thought about changing my soap i use when take shower. also when laundry i put washer and dry them in dryer. also i never thought cutting back on sugars and carb. Is there any other suggestions

o

Hot tub baths do not cause female problems. Very long soaks like in a spa or tub do cause/contribute to the problem.

I had those problems when I was younger. Every month after a period I would have a problem, treat it and the next month the same problem. I went to an allergist who had come up with test for feminine allergies. He said I was allergic to my own bodies bacteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here