Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salty taste in mouth?

Posted by Vicki_IL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 14:53

My mother has had a horrible salty taste in her mouth for about 3 months now. She's been to her regular doctor 3 times and then to an ENT twice. They've given her 2 different mouthwashes for Thrush, which doesn't really help and also Prilosec and that didn't work. She has had trouble before with salivary glands and I'm wondering if that could be the culprit - it really really bothers her when she eats. Also am wondering why her doctor didn't check this out since she had a stone removed from one of them when she was going to this guy. She had breast removal about 7 years ago and is a smoker.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salty taste in mouth?

I think I read somewhere once that a salty taste was due to an insufficiency of zinc in the diet. When that happens to me, I take a zinc supplement (30 mg.) for a few days, and try to drink extra water. It eventually goes away.

o

Coincidentally, my mom also has had a salty taste in her mouth for over one year now. Has been to ENT Doctor, gastro doctor, general dr, neurologist, cardio dr, dentist, no one seems to have an answer. She is distraught because she is off her food as nothing taste good, and has lost 10lbs or more. She cannot sleep for worrying over it. Has taken every med for gastric reflux which she also has for over 8 years, nothing helps. Anybody out there experienced this. She is 76 yo, otherwise healthy. Tried zinc, no go.

o

Here are a couple links to read:
http://www.health.uab.edu/default.aspx?pid=61539
and the one below (the question was posed by someone who also had breast cancer). Hope you can find the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salty Taste

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here