SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Bone density test really necessary?

downsouth
19 years ago

I went to my orthopedic for shoulder pain and he gave me a cortisone shot and is sending me for physical therapy, which I don't mind doing. However, he wants me to have a bone density test because he said my bones "feel weak." (just from putting pressure on my hands/arms and making me clench my fists). I am really having serious doubts about why this test is necessary. While researching who is a candidate for this type test, I don't fall into any of the categories which are:

65 and older

postmenopausal female who has had fractures

been on hormone therapy for prolonged period of time

low body weight

history of cigarette smoking

I don't smoke, don't take estrogen (as it causes me to gain weight), I am only 54, I have never had a fracture and I don't have low body weight. I do have arthritis in my neck and spine (DDD) being treated by my neurologist.

This is scheduled for tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. I just don't have the money now to pay for my part and I am dreading how expensive this is going to be. I am still paying on a hospital bill from 3 years ago, I owe my neurologist and now I'm getting orthopedic bills and physical therapy. I'm not working now so we are living off DH's salary.

Should I call the office in the morning and question why this test has been ordered? Is this another expensive MRI type test that is going to end up costing me a fortune out of my own pocket?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville