SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Night vision problems

jenn
17 years ago

About a year ago I began to notice vision problems while driving at night, even while wearing my bifocals which function perfectly well during the day. I can read signs and see things clearly, but there seems to be a problem or two that's hard to describe. I'm 51, in very good health, take no medications, and have never had any previous driving or vision problems (other than becoming more far-sighted as I get older, which is normal).

For one thing, objects either seem closer to me than they really are, or I have a difficult time judging the distance. (I do not have this problem during the day.) For example, last night while driving on the freeway it seemed like a car in the lane next to me was just a few inches away from my car while it was beside me, but when I looked over at it, it seemed to be at a safe distance. While driving between a car in the next lane and another car on the shoulder, I had a very hard time driving between them without feeling like they were too close (or I was too close to them).

Also, while I can read signs and nothing seems blurry, I feel like I'm in a visual fog of some sort. Maybe it's all the little lights in the dark that are confusing my eyes, but it feels like there is just too much going on with all the lights in the dark.

At my last eye check-up (just a few months ago) I mentioned this and the doctor didn't say anything about it and my eyes checked out fine with no changes since the previous year.

I don't think it is mental because I never had this problem before. It's worse in the rain, of course. I have a long commute home from work and I'm beginning to think I'll need to adjust my hours so that I never need to drive home in the dark and especially in the rain.

As I said before it's hard to describe this but I hope what I have described sounds familiar to someone who can tell me I'm perfectly normal or can explain what the problem might be.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!