Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swelling ankles and hand

Posted by Seamer1 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 12:06

I have been bothered lately with a swollen ankle, and hand. They are on opposite sides, so I'm not sure what that is about. The ankle has been tender while walking, but i haven't hurt it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swelling ankles and hand

Scoot to a clinic and have your blood-pressure tested. Swelling, if it's not a usual occurance, 'can' be a sign of high blood pressure or even heart problems.
When I find my ankles swollen (particularly my left one) I get my BP meter out and lo and behold, it's waaaay up! (which usually reminds me that I forgot my meds the day before. oops!)

Check it out...better to be certain it's nothing serious.

o

It can also be a sign of impaired kidney function. Which can also send the BP waaayyy up.

o
Yes....

Absolutely, Logfrog: had that checked out, too in case that was the culprit. This isn't something that should be left unchecked...it could be so many things.....

o

I think it is reasonable, if the condition just started, to watch it and see if it will improve on its own. If it worsens or doesn't improve in two weeks, you may want to get it check out by a professional.

What is completely unreasonable, in my opinion, is to treat your kidneys like a toilet and "flush" them out with a bottle of trace minerals. Gee, why not grab some Drano while you are at it.

In Africa, they sell antibiotics by color, with red being particularly popular. Testimonials are just as useless. The whole point is to get to the actual reason WHY you are experiencing edema, not to merely throw supplements at it that worked for other people.

And if you are experiencing gout, which is not indicated simply by having a swollen hand and foot by the way, I would hope you are under a doctor's care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here