Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lipitor

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 10:41

My son is on this and I'm wondering if it can be taken long term or is it just a short term med
thanks
ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lipitor

I think he will have to take it as long as he has a problem.
It's no cure all, as he also needs to watch his diet and exercise. Once he gets his cholesterol under control and is eating as he should, his doctor may take him off the medication. It's up to your son to do what he needs to do.
Frog

o

It can be taken long-term. Try adjusting dosage if necessary.

o

I've been on Lipitor since January. I was on 20 mg a day, but after a few months the pains in my legs and arms had me back to the doctor, so she put me on 10 mg. So far, no leg pains and I am able to walk and exercise. Just watch for the muscular pains after a few weeks, he might have to go to a lower dosage.

Annie

o

We had a dr. tell us that diet/exercise can only lower cholesterol about 10%, so in most cases if your chol. is high, you will need medication and likely need it your entire life.

My SIL decided her numbers were nice and low, stopped the meds, and oila, back to 300 even though they eat very low fat and exericise a lot.

o

If you take any cholesterol lowering medications make sure you have your blood tested regularly...

Rita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here