Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sore Throat - Plaquenil for RA

Posted by ginnier (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 9:25

Just checking in to see if anyone's on Plaquenil for their Rheumatoid Arthritis and if they've had trouble with any side effects. I've had a slight sore throat for 3 days now. Today my throat is sore enough that I'm "forgetting" to swallow... so it IS worse than yesterday.
My info sheets from the pharmacy about the side effects of Plaquenil include sore throat as one of those symptoms to call the dr. immediately about!
Just wondering if anyone else had trouble with it. I've been on P for a couple months now.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sore Throat - Plaquenil for RA

I have been on it for only a few days. I take it for lupus. My doctor gave me the list of possible side effects and sore throat isn't listed. She also read to me from the PDR and there was nothing about sore throats. I guess I would be a bit surprised if something like that would show up after this much time. The only real concern my rheumatologist had was for altered vision so I am being watched by my opthamologist. I hope you get an answer from someone with more experience. When I had a problem with Metformin it showed up within a couple of days of starting.

o

The best anti- inflammatory that you could take is fish oil. Cod Liver oil is best for you because it contains vitamin D. Almost every person with RA is very low in vitamin D. You should be taking both of these suppliments. You can also test for a D deficiency. If you want more details I will give them to you. I do not know anything about the medicine that you are taking. I am just assuming that it is an anti- inflammatory which do have many unpleasant and long term side effects.
Robin

o

I've been taking it for two months. My skin is more sensitive and I have been having a daily bloody nose, but I am not sure it is related. Sore throat isn't on my list of possible side-effects either.

o

Glad you posted Devorah and Robin, I had forgotten that I left this post. I DID develop bronchitis, right before we went on a trip to OR to see our son. So I coughed the whole time like a maniac; I still have that webby feeling in my lungs, like there's still something to cough up. Dr. put me a Z-pac. So the sore throat was the start of it all, but it took a long time to develop. After the sore throat I then ran a 100.6 or so temp for a couple days, and THEN began the cough right before we were supposed to leave. Believe me, I was a fun person to sit next to on the plane!!! And then DH got a mild version, why is he always getting the mild version??? :) :)
I don't think I'm having any side effects to the Plaquenil or the Sulfasalazin to hold the RA at bay. And I am on fish oil, flaxseed oil and folic acid and a nice vitamin.... I go to my rheumatologist every 3 months and it seems like my RA is starting to flare up again, so he puts me on a round of Prednesone for 4-5 weeks, and that sure helps.
Anybody else on Pred. for their RA flare ups? Do you have a standing prescription to fill whenever you need it? Or do you have to see the Dr. each time???

o

I also take plaquenil for RA and I've not seen anything about sore throats. My doctor always asks if I have any sores in my mouth but I think that's for the Methatrexate.

I also take Prednisone but it is a regular med for me. I take 5mg daily. I have taken it for about 6 or 7 years for one thing or another. I had a lot of knee problems, a torn bursa in my shoulder, bad pains in my elbows. I started off with all of these on the dose paks and then graduated to shots in the joints but eventually I just had to have it all the time. My RA is controlled but as soon as I begin to back off on the prednisone I have horrible pain again.

I also have Congestive Heart Failure so the prednisone helps with that and so does the methatrexate. It's strange that meds help entirely unrelated conditions, isn't it?

Nancy

o

What I failed to consider is that the plaquenil can cause stomach upset including acid reflux which can burn the throat.

o

I have been on the Plaq for awhile now and have not had another sore throat since the one in Sept. My RA pops up painfully every once in awhile, but it's really interesting that the pain only lasts 24-48 hours. Is this like what you have experienced?? I usually have one night that I hardly sleep because of the pain and not being able to lay comfortably, and then the pain gradually subsides.

So I don't think I'm having any side effects except huge amounts of gas!!!!! I used to harass hubby about being free with the noise making and now it's ME doin it. Yikes!

o

I have been on plaquenil for about 5 yreas now with no problems.
I have a sore throat on antibiotics but with no improvement.
I am so tired of catching everything that comes around! My doc says it's because of the plaquenil and that it keeps my immune system down. Also makes it hard to recover from illness.
I want to know if anyone here has taken prednisone for sore throat with success.

o

Sore throat is a "rare" side effect of Plaquenil (see link below).

I took it for my RA for awhile and had my vision tested every 3 months by an Optomologist due to possibility of blindness.

I also took gold shots which I regret. It caused me more health problems.

I haven't taken ANYTHING since 1998. I don't take painkillers, anti-inflammatories, etc. I have enough to deal with with the RA that I don't need more health problems caused by these drugs.

In fact, I feel better now than I did in 1998!

For the person who said she takes Flaxseed oil. My naturopath did not recommend it cuz it's a "rancid oil", as is spinach is rancid too. You are better to take flaxseed as a "seed", not an oil.

Also, pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory as it contains bromelain. If u have high blood pressure, then it's not recommended.

I'm amazed at the commercials that advertise RA drugs and tell you the possible side effects..."some cancers have been reported"... who would take them???

Gold shots caused me to become anemic and have possible blood cancer (myloma) cuz it caused my kidneys to leak protein in my blood. Something my rheumatologist failed to tell me! I have to get blood test every 6 months just to check.

Nothing is going to take ALL your pain away. You will always have it. You just have to learn to live with it. I've had it for 16 years now. Pain management is a very important part of daily life and makes a huge difference.

I know this guy who has RA and has tried all the meds, procedures, etc. He looks fine on the outside, but his insides are finished because of all the drugs. As for me, my hands are crippled up but my insides are fine!

Believe it or not, marijuana is the only thing that takes the pain away. Unfortunately, I get paranoid so I don't smoke it. I've tried morhpine, perks, etc. Didn't help! Smoked a joint once and I was able to run a little bit (didn't realise I was LOL), and I was able to walk barefoot without pain in my feet. Believe me, if I wouldn't get paranoid while high, I'd smoke it! It's legal in Canada for medical purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plaquenil

o

Sometimes the side effects with medicines are so rare that it is hard to tell if the medicine is actually causing the side effect or it's just something that would happen anyway. Plaquenil, for example,... which many Lupus patients take, lists hair loss and rashes as a side effect... well, hair loss and rashes run with Lupus... so I'm not really sure you can always tell if the higher rate of many of these things is the cause of the medicine or cause of the disease.

I wouldn't necessarily stay away from all medicines just because there are some rare side effects. Some people have serious life altering problems with both RA and immune diseases, so maybe a slight chance of cancer may be worth being able to live. Heck, aren't we all taking chances just driving through an idustrial area on our way to work or forgeting to drink our glass of red wine every night to cut our breast cancer rate?

Regarding the sore throat... I personally would vote that it may be something separate from the Plaquenil. Yes, maybe it poped up at the same time, but when health starts deteriorating, a lot of problems pop up. If you have RA ---an auto-immune problem, chances are you may have allergies too (another immune problem -- go figure) ... maybe a dust mite one that is causing a sore throat every morning.

wishfulie,
As a far as I know, Plaquenil (originally an anti-mylaria drug) does not weaken the immune system. Although I think it can make you more sensitive to the sun. I think you may be confusing it with steroids or prednisone; as I believe they are known to weaken the immune system. I'm no doctor, but you may want to double check your research on that.

I'm guessing what many people here have is a weakened immune system and that so many are suseptible to catching everything and being sick all the time because of that. I've known people that have literally taken steroids to help save their lives though, so I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons with every medicine.

o

Sometimes the side effects with medicines are so rare that it is hard to tell if the medicine is actually causing the side effect or it's just something that would happen anyway. Plaquenil, for example,... which many Lupus patients take, lists hair loss and rashes as a side effect... well, hair loss and rashes run with Lupus... so I'm not really sure you can always tell if the higher rate of many of these things is the cause of the medicine or cause of the disease.

That's so true!

For me, it seems that I ALWAYS get the RARE side effects of a drug which is why I opt not to take anything anymore.

Some drugs are fine for some people, and some are not! A person just has to decide what's best for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here