Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plantar fasciitis! Ouch!!!!!!!

Posted by hannah (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 04 at 9:06

I've been reading up on this and I'm pretty certain it's what I've got...probably because I HATE to wear shoes!...and rarely do.

Has anyone had this and successfully obliterated it?

*did I mention I'm 'allergic' to needles...so please don't go there...LOLAM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plantar fasciitis! Ouch!!!!!!!

Hannah,

I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis (seems that I'm getting more informed and have some knowledge about things like this because more ailments seem to plague me as I get older, thus making me more "informed").
I successfully dealt with it by buying the most expensive shoes I could, off-the-shelf but handmade, with great orthotics. I don't know if I should advertise a brand here, but the shoes are from Germany, and you can get them at a good shoe shop. They have worked wonders, and are worth every penny of the $235.00 I paid for them. I didn't have a shot.

Sorry, but I think you're going to have to wear shoes. For the house I got felt clogs with arch supports, but I love going barefoot in the house, and my feet don't seem to mind, as long as I wear the other shoes the rest of the time.

Good Luck,
Wendy

o

different things worked - The soft Spenco inserts worked for a while and then I needed the hard ones and then I needed custom orthotics and then I had surgery for fasciitis release and to chip off a heel spur. My operation didn't go very well. It is over a year now, and I can walk fairly well again but parts of my heel are numb and it feels as if I am walking on a wadded up sock. My ankle is very stiff despite my doing lots of exercises for it. The achilles tendon is very sensitive. I don't think that my results are at all usual, but I wouldn't advise anyone to go the surgery route unless they are desperate for relief.

o

I've copied and pasted an earlier thread. These comment might be helpful to you.

Are any of you familiar with Plantar Fasciitis? I guess it usually lasts about a year. The bottoms of both feet hurt when you first walk on them. There are other problems too, but I'd like to know what you do to loosen up your feet first thing in the morning. The long ligament that runs along the bottom of your feet tightens up and it really hurts when I first put weight on my feet in the morning. I think it would heal faster if I could figure out a good "therapy" to use when I first get up.
Sammy

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Plantar Fasciitis
Posted by: lazygardens (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 9:03

Have you tried ordinary massage? Just take some lotion and gently rub it into the arch and bottom of your foot.
Ask the doc about stretching exercises that might helkp without aggravating it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Posted by: MonaBlair (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 16:50

My orthopedist gave me some hard plastic heel cups (no padding) to insert in enclosed shoes and after a few weeks the pain was gone. Over the past 5 years if I ever start to feel it coming back I go back to enclosed shoes and tennis shoesand insert the heel cups and after 3-4 days it's gone again.

Posted by: Sammy (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 19:26

My pain is gone if I wear an old pair of tennis shoes that they no longer make and has no equivalent. I wear shoes to work that are pretty comfortable, but at night the bottom of my foot tightens up and it takes a few minutes in the morning for me to get it to loosen up. If I get out of bed quickly to go to the bathroom, it can really hurt and I feel that I have reinjured it. I have done the stretching exercises, but not regularly. I friend said to stand on stair steps and let my heels hang down. This feels ok, but my morning it has tightened up again.
Sammy

Posted by: daylilyfan (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 22:36

I have had p.f. for 25 years. It is finally under control, but still flares now and then. But, I went through a LOT to get to this point.... but mine was really severe.
One of the things I tried for it was physical therapy. One of the things they had me do was take a towel, or a sturdy belt, and while I was still in bed, lay on my back and put the towel around the ball of my foot, with knee bent. Then, straighten up your leg and gently pull on the ends of the towel, stretching the foot in the same manner that it stretches on the edge of a stair step when you have the ball of your foot on the step and your heels dropped down below the step. As you get better at this, and the muscle gets more flexible, bend the opposite knee and put that foot flat on the bed. (this is to prevent lower back injury - they said it was important to have the leg you are not stretching bent like this ) Then with the extended leg, with the towel around the foot, start raising the leg to the ceiling, keeping tension on the ball of the foot with the towel. Will hurt like heck at first. When you stretch they told me it was important to stretch the calf and hamstrings too! (that's the point of the leg lift). You should do these exercises several times a day (gradually build up the number of times a day as well as the seconds you hold the stretch). If the pain is really bad, take a 16 oz plastic soda or water bottle, fill it with 1 part rubbing alcohol, 4 parts water. Freeze. It won't freeze solid with the alcohol in it, but it gets colder than if it was water alone. Then, set the bottle on the floor, and roll it with your foot, from toes to heel. The ice really will help. But don't use ice for more than 20 minutes or you could freeze your flesh!

Another good exercise for when you don't have a towel or a stair step is to face a wall, put your hands flat on the wall at shoulder height, and shoulder width. Start "walking" your feet backwards until you are stretching the calf and back of your leg, while keeping the foot flat.

Strangely enough, even with injections, therapy (including ultrasound whirlpool), exercises, steroids, anti-inflammatories etc.... It was a massage therapist that finally did the trick. 3 treatments with her, and I have had very little pain since. HOWEVER, the treatments she did were INCREDIBLY painful. Much worse than any cortisone injection into my heel. So, you might check into a registered massage therapist. Remember, I had mine for 25 years... it was really bad. Since yours is not nearly as bad, the massage therapy might just cure you right off, and should not hurt you near as much as mine did.

I have found Birkenstocks to be far better for me than any custom orthotic device or any brand of tennis shoe. They make many more styles than just sandals and clogs. The cork foot bed is excellent for this problem. I do get a flat gel insert (without arch supports - it lays flat) and put it under the cork foot bed for additional cushion.

Have also found that going barefoot makes it worse.

If you search Google for Plantar F or heel pain, you'll find lots of good info. I think one of the good sites was footpain.com if I remember right, but it's been a couple years.

Posted by: joann23456 (My Page) on Fri, Jan 23, 04 at 0:57

I have had several flare-ups of plantar fasciitis, the worst for over two years. Here are a few things I do:
1. Never, ever, not even for half a second, walk without wearing shoes. I use a pair of Birkenstock sandals as slippers.

2. Before you get out of bed, do some simple stretches. My quickest routine is to lie flat in bed, flex the feet and hold for 30 seconds, then point the feet and hold for 30 seconds. It helps to stretch the tendon. I also do the walk back from the wall exercise that daylilyfan mentioned.

Standing on your tiptoes for 15-30 seconds and then going back can help. Also, a really good exercise is to stand on the bottom step of a stairway, holding on to the rail and maybe the wall. Toes on the step, rest of foot hanging off - push the heels down and hold to stretch.

On a bad day, use ice massage. I make the ice in a small paper cup. Rub into the affected areas.

Orthotics can be very helpful. I've had custom and OTC, and I like the Spenco inserts. You can buy them at sports stores, if you're interested.

Best of luck. And if you want a *lot* more information, do a search on google.

Posted by: Sammy (My Page) on Sat, Jan 24, 04 at 11:34

Daylilyfan and Joann, thank you so much. I am studying what you wrote and am making notes. I invested in many inserts, but have a size problem. I wear a woman's 8-8 1/2 dress shoe and a 9 athletic shoe. That means that a woman's insert hits my arch too close to the heel. I need to go out again and purchase a man's insert and cut it down. I have a very high arch and instep and claw toes. It is a structure that goes together as opposed to hammer toes that have other causes. I require shoes that keep me from pronating and shoes that have a heel. Usually my high arch takes care of itself, and at times an arch support can hurt my foot.
Now that I have gotten older, I realize that my arch probably needs some support. I don't want to invest in orthotics since I often wear open shoes. Also, so many people have been disappointed in their choice of orthotics even though the doctor says it is a good fit. I am taking medications to stop osteoporosis and don't want any steroid unless the problem has no other option. Since I am so close to the normal range (non osteoporosis) I don't want to argue with my doctor or refuse treatment. The condition (foot) seems to be improving and I would like to treat it myself. (I will see the doctor again in the summer for a checkup and call immediately if it gets worse.) There have been times when I have been uncomfortable during the day, but usually I have problems only first thing in the morning, and a little stiffness after sitting during the day.
I feel that I could almost be cured if I would not hurt my foot first thing in the morning. I am going to work on the stretching exercises that you have suggested.
I just purchased some new shoes that will also be helpful.
Do you have any idea what causes this? The only thing I can think of is that sometimes when I work in the garden, I will wedge myself into awkward positions to clip or pull weeds, and I will stay there for about 15 minutes trying to accomplish something. In this position my feet sometimes hurt and I cannot adjust because of the roses and thorns, but when I am finished my feet don't hurt. Another thing that I used to do is to rest on the sofa or love seat by putting my ankles on the arm rest. My daughter had said that Plantar Fasciitis is caused by cutting off oxygen to the foot. I wonder if lying down for 15 minutes with my ankles on the arm rest would cause it. (It is very comfortable to me to have my feet raised like that.) Besides getting over this, I sure would like to keep it from happening again.
Thanks
Sammy

Posted by: joann23456 (My Page) on Sat, Jan 24, 04 at 16:25

Plantar fasciitis is simply an inflammation of the plantar fascia, which is the long ligament on the bottom of the foot. Various things (high arches being one of them) can cause small tears in the ligament which then become inflamed.
By the way, you're right that a mid-height heel will make your foot feel better, because it allows the plantar fascia to contract. When you take your first step in the morning - in bare feet or slippers - your plantar fascia is stretched, which can reinjure it and make it very painful.

I doubt the gardening or lying on the couch would cause it.

By the way, the best cure for plantar fasciitis is rest. I once saw an orthopedic doctor who told me that if I could stay in bed for six weeks, the little tears would heal and I would feel fine. All other treatments are things we do because we cannot rest!

Here is a very good article from WebMD that you might look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: WebMD plantar fasciitis

Posted by: joann23456 (My Page) on Sun, Jan 25, 04 at 2:04

Plantar fasciitis is simply an inflammation of the plantar fascia, which is the long ligament on the bottom of the foot. Various things (high arches being one of them) can cause small tears in the ligament which then become inflamed.
By the way, you're right that a mid-height heel will make your foot feel better, because it allows the plantar fascia to contract. When you take your first step in the morning - in bare feet or slippers - your plantar fascia is stretched, which can reinjure it and make it very painful.

I doubt the gardening or lying on the couch would cause it.

By the way, the best cure for plantar fasciitis is rest. I once saw an orthopedic doctor who told me that if I could stay in bed for six weeks, the little tears would heal and I would feel fine. All other treatments are things we do because we cannot rest!

Here is a very good article from WebMD that you might look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: WebMD plantar fasciitis

Posted by: Sammy (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 04 at 16:58

You know, maybe this is going away by itself, but I think it helps to stretch my foot by standing on a step at night. Thanks to whoever reminded me of that. I was having trouble with shoes and finally took out the sole and put in the Dr. Shoels and that has done wonders. (I don't really want to look up the spelling of that word, but it is wrong -- sorry)
Sammy

Posted by: Heidiho (My Page) on Fri, Feb 13, 04 at 3:27

Birkenstock shoes. They are pricy but I haven't had any problems since I've purchased a pair of these handmade German shoes. It's taken me 2 years to be able to afford quite a few pair but they last forever. Go to their web site and look into the bargain section. I know how painful this can be. Take care and good luck.

Posted by: Sammy (My Page) on Sat, Feb 14, 04 at 11:57

If anyone is still reading this, do you have a high arch? That seems to be my main problem. I found athletic shoes that were almost perfect. I took out the soles and put in Dr. Sholes (wrong spelling, sorry) soles. The fit is absolutely perfect, but the texture of the insole grabs my socks. I cannot get my foot in easily, and once I wear them, they then pull down my socks. Any suggestions? I want the athletic socks, that's the point. I don't want panty hose when I can wear athletic shoes.
Birkenstock has a problem for me. My high arched foot also has claw like toes. Some people call them hammer toes, but when all the toes are equal, there is no problem. However the toe end of Birkenstocks rises, and my toe nail hits it. This just doesn't work for me. I have seen some that don't, but have been afraid to purchase them sight unseen. My city doesn't have a good variety of shoes.
Sammy

Posted by: joann23456 (My Page) on Sun, Feb 15, 04 at 1:54

Sammy - If you'd like to try Birkenstocks, there are many styles on Zappos.com. The good thing about them is that they often run specials with free shipping. Plus, returns are always free - you fill out an online form, and they send you a prepaid label.
That would be a way for you to try them with nothing at risk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zappos

Posted by: Sammy (My Page) on Sun, Feb 15, 04 at 13:12

I love Zappos. I cannot buy any shoes here, since it is so hard to find the fit I need. I buy Clarks, Ecco, and Asics. Zappos and Online Shoes are great. I also use Shoebuy and one other, I forget. They have "clerks" who can really help. Here in my city are only people who can go retrieve the proper size and put the shoe on your foot. They have very limited knowledge -- even the Running store. I ought to try Birkenstocks. I have seen some sandals and shoes that don't have that rise at the end of the sole. So many people love that shoe. Thanks for suggesting it again.
Sammy

Posted by: gandbb (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 2:16

I had plantar fasciitis for years. My HMO paid for a couple of cortisone shots and I paid for othotics which helped a bit. A new HMO doctor decided I needed fascia release surgery. I had that and at the same time they chinked off some of a bone spur. I was on crutches for a month. It has been 8 months and my foot still isn't as good as it was before the surgery. part of my heel is numb which makes it feel like I am walking on a wadded up sock. I wish I had the benefit of more information before taking such a drastic step. My surgeon seems genuinely baffled that my foot reacted so badly. I don't know if it is common or not. I sure wish I could go back 9 months. I am trying to be grateful that I can finally walk enough to do my own shopping again. My complaint before the surgery was that I couldn't last longer than a couple of miles.

Posted by: Jamie_MT (My Page) on Thu, Feb 26, 04 at 18:13

That's odd...my DF has PF, and his doc told him it never truly goes away, so he'd need orthodics for life, pretty much. He also said surgery was an option, but that it would be much worse than the actual injury, so he didn't recommend it. Sounds like you needed a second opinion - sorry you're in such pain!

Posted by: liketolearn (My Page) on Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 16:12

I know the pain of mornings where you walk for the first 10 minutes like your 90+ years old. Heck my 85yr old grandmother could have beat me in a footrace.
Doctor said she normally recommends staying off the feet and physically therapy. Knowing me (no insurance coverage for physically therapy and no time) and my work schedule (long days and standing all day long) she suggested that I freeze a water bottle and once or twice a day roll my foot over it for 5 minutes or so. She also recommended that I go to Lady Footlocker and get sneaker inserts (about $20).

Did both of these and it really helped! Occassionally after several long days I may feel it but not like before. I replace my sneaker inserts at least once a year. I usually wear thick socks (no shoes) at home and the socks help to cushion my feet.

Return to the Health Forum

o

Oh thank you!!!!!
I've just printed out all the material! LOL

I cannot believe this is happening to me...I just turned 56 last month (sshhhhh! LOL), and this is actually the first unhealthy thing I've ever had...been lucky, I guess.
The bad thing is, though, that my son is getting married on August 7th...how will I look gimping down the aisle to my seat, looking for all the world like Grandpa McCoy! LOL
I also just bought a home in SW Florida near the beach, for the second time, and was so looking forward to never wearing shoes again!
Damn! :(

o

Wouldn't Earth Shoes be a good choice?
I still have an older pair that I wore all the time, plus I was thinking of purchasing a new pair anyway.

I'm jes an ol' hippie, I guess...LOLAM

o

It is interesting to read what I have written over the past year. My feet are much much better. I still have trouble the first thing in the morning and when I get up after sitting for awhile. Still the step thing is best for me. The fascia is inflamed, but the cause as I understand it is the back of your leg - not even the achilles tendon. The stretching loosens up everything. It isn't especially age related either.
Good Luck to everyone. I grow roses and always wear shoes, so that is no problem.
Sammy

o

I did the cortizone shot, hurt like the dickens, but it went away. That was 8 years ago, no problems yet.

Vickey-MN

o

I've had two cortisone shots over the years - both were *very* painful. Each worked well - for a few months. After that, the PF was back, same as usual.

I manage it with a combination of OTC anti-inflammatories, stretching, and never taking a single step without shoes.

o

Absolutely NO SHOTS for me! (I'm such a baby!!! LOL)

The stretching coupled with the hard massaging has helped a little...Thank you all!!!
Tonight's my Son's wedding...I can only pray I don't limp down the aisle and embarrass him...hehehe!

o

You know, there's yet another shoes/no shoes thread on the flooring forum. I always post about plantaar fasciitis, and how it hurts to walk without shoes. (Well, even *with* shoes, but it feels better.)

I've declined invitations to the only no-shoes family I know because I didn't want to be in pain all night.

o

I get it on and off. I just walk it off. It usually takes a week to a month to go away.

Also, I have VERY flat feet and found that good inserts (Tacco) or shoes with good inner contours help (Teva sandals are great).

Wearing good inserts has helped tremendously. Also, I go barefoot almost exclusively- anywhere I can. But, when I walk several miles on pavement, the good shoes and inserts save me.

Yeah. PLANTAR FASCIITIS feels almost as good as the MORTON'S NEUROMA I have. That makes the plantar fasciitis feel like a walk in the park.

o
RE: plantar fasciitis! Ouch!!!!!!!-inserts

Oh...

Go to: http://www.tacco.com/produkte_page.asp?kat=1&spr=1&offset=0

Most shoe repair places sell these. They're about $20

o

Oh, I have a neuroma, too, bbaird, and it is true, it can hurt more than the fasciitis. Sometimes, when my feet get squeezed sideways, the pain is excruciating!

o
RE: plantar fasciitis! Ouch!!!!!!!-Wendy

Sometimes I can't figure out what causes it to flare up. ( I know exactly what shoes started the whole thing, though) The first time it happened (the neuroma), I didn't know what the hell was going on but, I eventually figured out it was one particular pair of shoes that was extremely tight right over the spot where the neuroma would be and across my toes. It tooks years before I came across a website that described EXACTLY what I was experiencing. Needless to say, I got rid of those shoes.

BTW, Jazzy is beautiful

o

I just went to a foot dr I stepped on a dog bone right on my arch.I was comming down steps,all my weight was on this ,I almost fell, T hey said my ligaments were stretched.A couple times a day I was to put ice pack on.felt great,I bet that would help.They wanted to shoot steroids in but My kidneys are bad I cant have it or aspirin.They said aspirin.

o

You posted some time ago. Hope you have relief by now. You might try using a "wobble board" for exercises. If you search google for "plantar fasciitis" and "wobble board", you will find multiple references that say this seems to help.

Would strongly recommend that you not try any surgery. Seems most of what I read on the web indicates that you often are worse after surgery than before. But seems like there are a lot of doctors out there who really want to use the knife without trying other less intrusive things. Be careful.

--Alice

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantar fasciitis and wobble board (scroll down or page search)

o

I suffered from Plantat fasciiis for over ten years. I got custom orthotics, wore good running shoes exclusively, had physical therapy, did stretching exercises, used frozen soda bottles, wore the boot at night. Nothing touched it. Upon trying my third podiatrist, the doctor told me I had narrow heels. He told me to buy New Balance shoes designed for narrow heels. I left the office thinking "thanks for nothing", but I bought the shoes anyway. After two months, I was cured and three years later I am still totally pain free and can walk several miles daily for exercise. If you walk out of your shoes with every step-try this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here