Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chantix

Posted by flowergazer (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 8:50

I am on day 5 of being a non- smoker with the help of chantix.Anyone with positive advice using this drug.It is so expensive and I was wondering if I could get away with only one month supply.If I shouldn't I wont it is hard enough with the drug convincing myself that this is the new me a non-smoker.I have been suffering from headaches, lack of ambition and sore throat is this normal? what other effects could I get? I hear of people quitting for months and starting again that scares the crap out of me. How does that happen?Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chantix

A 40 year smoker....9 years a non smoker here.
Not smoking is so liberating, I will guess that after a month you will be so thrilled not to be stinking and wondering where you can have your next ciggie and stepping outside for a fix, that you won't need it in 2 more days....but for the physical addiction....and that should be gone in about 5 days.
How expensive is Chantix? More than the price of 2 packs of cigs a day? Cheap at 1/2 the cost!
Enjoy your new self....it's awesome!
Linda C

o

I successfully quit smoking, using Chantix. I have been smoke-free since March 15, and Linda is correct - you feel so free from that expensive vice. Each day that you don't smoke makes you so proud of yourself. I rarely even think about smoking, and if I am around cigarette smoke, it makes me ill. It doesn't bother me that other people are smoking, it's just the smell nauseates me. I recommend this highly!

o

Flowergazer, good luck for continued success in your program to stop smoking. Keep up the good work.

o

Kayjones how long did you take it? I made it 1 week now, I am feeling pretty good a little edgy once in a while but not to bad, nothing that would make me run out and get a pack.I started reading and crocheting plus my gardening.

o

Way to go!! You have licked it!! Coingratulations!
Linda C

o

I have to bump this thread.
Do it!
My folks have been taking Chantix as well and have experienced amazing results. They were both hard-core smokers (1 to 2 packs a day for 30+ years) and tried all the "gimmicks" and "cures" out there. They had no success until this - Chantix. Dad is down to 5 cigarette attempts a week, Mom is down to 2. This is AMAZING! I am so happy that they have found something that works for them. They have only been taking it for 7 weeks.
I have a bit more research to do (I am a smoker as well) regarding the interaction between Chantix and allergy/asthma meds. I have allergy induced asthma and it notes on their website that it has been found that Chantix can effect the action of asthma meds - so I have to make an appointment with Dr to discuss.
Gosh, I would be so happy to not have my home and clothes and BED smell of smoke (I may be weird but even as a long-time smoker the smell just kills me.)

Good luck to all you quitters!

o

I have a question from another angle. My husband has been taking Chantix and has been smoke free for 3 months now. I'm thrilled but he has become lethargic with no energy any more.....lazy. Is this normal, will it go away with time, or is it just my imagination? Example: On the weekends he takes 3 hours to read the paper (thank goodness it's not the NY Times), is on the computer off and on 2-3 hours, takes naps off and on, and then goes to bed an hour before he use to. Could this be the effects of the drug or is it just a period of adjustment?

o

On Feb 15th - I will celebrate 3 months smoke free. I smoked for 30+ years and tried to quit many times. I think Chantix is wonderful. I quit after I was on it after about 3 weeks, I kinda had the attitude that "I dared Chantix to work"....and it did!

Last night we had a party with 6 out of 12 people smoking in the garage. I went out there (I have started recommending Chantix to people. Not like a reformed smoker - I do it one time, short and sweet, and tell them that it worked for me) anyway, standing in that garage I normally would have been jumping them to bum a cig, but last night the craving wasn't there. It's amazing to me. I still thought about smoking, but the need NOT to smoke was stronger. I wasn't crazy at all or on edge, very relaxed. It was sort of easy to not smoke. I NEVER would have believed that life could be this way.

I am a closet smoker. I haven't smoked in front of my kids in 10 years. Never smoked where I could get "caught" - by neighbors, parents from the school etc. I couldn't quit when I was pregnant with my 3 kids. In fact after they were all born, I would walk to the emergency entrance and smoke my heart out, and then go back up. I will never forgive myself that I smoked while pregnant. How horrible. I would avoid long shopping trips with my daughters, because I didn't want to go that long without one. A true addict - but with a legal drug.

So now that I quit - there are not many people that I can scream:

I FINALLY QUIT SMOKING !!!

I still can't believe it. Doesn't bother me when I walk into gas station. I think about it, but I can just get my diet pepsi and be on my way. I always wished I could just forget that I ever smoked, this kind of does. It's weird.

After about a month into my quit, I started to only take the pill in the am. It made me feel no different. Then I began taking a half of a pill and still felt fine with no huge change in my desire to not smoke. Then I realized that I had forgotten to take it one day and I was ok. So I stopped taking it at all after 2 months. I still went and had my prescription for the 3rd month filled...I think it was more for a security blanket, but I haven't opened it yet.

I was lucky and had no side effects, whatsoever. But many people wean themselves off rather than stopping "cold turkey". There are some scary things that they are writing about Chantix - I was willing to take the risk and am soooooo glad I did. I have gained about 10# on my already overweight body, but its a small price to pay in the long run. I take it off.

Good luck to all of you.

o

What about the side effects that have been on TV. Like the guy who killed himself? I think naps would be in order for me, at least you're not awake and pacing or crying. It is so addicting!

Carla

o

From what my doctor told me, Chantix can exaserbate symptoms of Depression and Anxiety Disorder. So, if you haven't been diagnosed with these & understand the possible side effects of Chantix, there shouldn't be a problem.

I smoked a pack/day for 17 years and since I started so young, I felt that smoking is not only a habit, but a big part of my identity. This is my 1st time trying to quit and by day the 9th day of taking Chantix, I only smoked 2 cigarettes (and wondered why after I smoked them). So, I officially quit on day 10.

It's now been 3 weeks w/no smoking. The biggest struggle for the 1st 4 days was the habit, so having candy, gum & snacks were helpful to me. I have found that I get more work done since I don't have to take so many smoke breaks.

For the past week, I've reduced the # of pills from 2, to 1 per day. After taking Chantix for first couple of weeks, I found that constipation and sleep disturbance are the side effects that are annoying to me. In the past, I rarely remembered dreaming when I woke. Now, I remember having 1-3 dreams each night (just regular old dreams).

Some people continue to occassionally smoke while on
Chantix, without really needing to. I highly recommend not doing this. I think this kind behavior can come back to harm you after you've stopped taking the medication.

o

On April 24 I will be 1 year a non smoker thanks to Chantix. I was really amazed how easy it was to quit, but you do need to have the desire to quit. I had my last cigarette on the 3rd day and each day just got better. Because I was a long time smoker my doctor and druggist encouraged me to stay on the program 6 mo. even at a reduced amount and I did. They said this ensures a better chance of not relapsing. This is a drug and it comes with it's side effects which bother some more than others. The night dreams for sure and nausa and dry mouth. I found after 1 month I could reduce the night pill and you can buy special toothpaste for dry mouth...no side effect was bad enough to make me quit the program. Since New Years I have not thought of smoking once and you do have thoughts about it, but they go away quickly.

It is certainly worth trying and I wish everyone the success I have had.

o

My daughter and son-in-law are using this and they are reporting good results with it.Chantix that is. I have been smoke free for the last 21 years. Here is my method for quitting. The first thing is, you have to REALLY want to quit. I chewed sunflower seeds for about 2 weeks. When that didn't do it for me, and I found myself looking for a butt-there is nothing more gross than lighting an old tired cigarette butt. Then I would find myself a good quiet place and kneel down and pray. In about a minute or two the craving would go away. Of course you have to believe in God, and that he answers prayers. I'm 74 now and had smoked for a good 30 years. It's so good to have that monkey off my back. It's worth a try.

o

I am starting my Chantix starter pack on Monday.. Wondered if any of you had any advice for the noob?? I have alot of mixed feelings right now, but I know it's time to do this... I picked up my RX on Thursday, and my 14 y.o son helped me pick my date.

I'll be sure to report back as well!!

o

I am on day 4 quit with chantix what an amazing drug I have had very few cravings just a feeling of unease which is not bad. Sleeping is getting weird wake up far too early but I can deal with that! I am over the moon that I am NOT smoking. I used to smoke a pack a days for 20 plus years.

o
RE: Chantix and nausea

If you haven't tried a parsley supplement while taking chantix, give it a try! I almost gave up on chantix because the nausea was soo bad. Now I take 860mg parsley capsules along with chantix and No more nausea. I originally bought the parsley to aid with water weight gain and just happen to take both the capsules and the chantix at the same time one morning. In reading further about parsley, it's also recommended as a holistic digestive aid. This is a miracle to me and I'm so happy I found this. Good Luck!

o

Congrats to every one who quit smoking. I quit but occasionally have a few drags and then wonder why the heck did I do that???

My BF is a smoker and he smokes 1/2 the cigarette and then puts it out and then when he wants another he lights a new one up. I've been wanting him to try this Chantix, but can't seem to get any further than yea ok and that's it. He could put some weight on about 30 lbs. I know if he quit somking he would. How do I get him to try this??

Thanks,
Susan

o

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Chantix w/o a script) I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chantix Without a Prescription

o

I started taking Chantix about 7 weeks ago and have to say I did get quite a few of the side affects.. There was a couple of times I thought about stopping it but the will to stop smoking this time around was just to great and I have progressed through them. I did and still do have some memory loss at times (enlisted my work colleges to help me through the first few weeks), quite a bit of agitation, a couple of sleepless nights, a couple of really sleepy nights :) and now for the past couple of weeks i find that I have to keep busy, keep moving, get things done... on the bright side this is great :) I dont know if that is caused by the Chantix or just the fact that I am no longer smoking and feeling pretty darn good for the first time in years. I was a 1 1/2 to 2 pack a day smoker for 35 years and I am still young :) and it just hit me I have to quit and quit now!!!! Yes there are some side effects and some people get them worse or not at all so it might not be good for everyone but for me it has been a wonder drug... I was able to run over 4 miles the other day and I was not winded and felt like i could go more.....

o

It has been two months for me, 2-3 packs a day, and I smoked for 30 years! This drug is nothing short of a MIRACLE. But, does come with many side effects for me. I heard people talk about napping? For me, its depression and not wanting to do anything. I am determined to stay on this a year, as I am terrified if Im not taking it I will smoke. For me, depression for a year is a small price to pay for being FREE. BUT, I have battled depression all my life, and have a pretty high tolerance. Have basically told my significant other for the next year, I will be gaining weight and being extremely lazy, and he will just have to deal with it! My health is more important. One thing at a time for me...I work VERY closely with my doctor with the depression.

o

The patient was cure but died of the treatment

We studied 61,150 Chantix users from FDA and social media. Among them, 301 have death. See who they are, when they have death and more
www.ehealthme.com/ds/chantix/death

Nearly 80% of Chantix study users relapsed within a year. Real-world Chantix users should expect substantially worse odds with Chantix.

whyquit.com/pr/082506.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here