Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it Alzheimers?

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 7:23

A friend of ours is in his eighties. His wife passed away 2 years ago. We see him frequently as part of a group. He's starting to repeat the same stories over and over again, but seems to be in good health otherwise. We're very concerned, but it's not our business to say anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it Alzheimers?

If all he does is repeat stories over and over, that is probably a sign that he doesn't have any thing else to think about. It MIGHT be the start of Alzheimers, but it might be something else. Is he living alone? Does he eat a good balanced diet? It could be a vitamine deficency of some sort.

Perhaps you could gently inquire as to whether or not he has been to a doctor lately for a full check up. At this point, that's about all you can do.

Merely repeating stories isn't enough. There would also be a problem with short term memory and confusion about location, people, etc.

o

He does live alone; he's able to drive and go shopping. His children live within driving distance and call frequently. I think being widowed and living alone has to take a toll. We include him in whatever we can, but we're only in the area on weekends.

o

I wouldn't read too much into it. A thorough physical is the only thing that can eliminate everything else, in order to even diagnose Alzheimer's.

o

My friends father has beginning signs of alzheimers and it is hard to tell. My friend said since she's been giving her dad memory minder, she sees a huge difference. I think it's supposed to improve memory within 3 months or something like that. Here is where she gets it from. I just ordered some for myself. I could use a sharpened mind LOL
http://www.simpledefeat.citymaker.com/catalog/item/3812014/3535981.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here