SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluezephyr_gw

Memory question

bluezephyr
14 years ago

Hi,

I have a terrible memory and am wondering if there's a way to recover some of what's lost. I'm not talking about an abuse issue that I've repressed, but things about my life in general.

I'm 36 and I can't describe with any real accuracy many incidents from elementary school through high school. I'm not kidding. Of course I remember going to school, and various friends and events, but specific incidents, including conversations and what I was thinking/feeling at the time, are quite hazy.

Part of this is perhaps due to my preoccupation with sports during this period. Football was my life and I'd basically daydream through classes. There was also a fair amount of getting drunk involved in high school which probably affected my memory of that time as well.

So I'm just wondering if something like hynotherapy might help. Talking with friends about past events helps jog the occasional specific memory, but I'm amazed at how much more they remember. It's actually kind of embarrassing, and sometimes I act like I remember things when I really do not.

Whenever I read biographies I can't believe how much people remember. I realize that such memories may not be completely accurate, but the level of detail is staggering. If I wrote an autobiography (which I've tried) those early chapters would be incredibly short and vague.

Thanks very much for any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments (11)

Sponsored