Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knee pain

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 22:31

I did a search and found some posts on knee pain but I am not sure mine is the same. My knees have always been tender when I kneel down on them on hard surfaces. I have to use a cushioned pad when gardening. Now its the outside part of my knee that burns when I kneel down. It also feels puffy to the left of my left kneecap. My left one is worse but both hurt. I do aerobics that make the knee bend but we do not use steps. I also have Plantar Facisitis (SP?). Does anyone think its related or did I tear something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knee pain

It's possible that one situation is aggravating the other.

What I would do is go to the orthopedist to find out what is wrong with your knee. Good for you for doing aerobics, but you sure don't want to make the knee any worse.

As for the plantars, it's a curse, isn't it? I had it when I was on crutches for months--it was on the good foot, the one that was doing all the work. It took months to go away. What helped? Two visits to a therapeutic masseuse, stretching out the foot often, and always wearing soft shoes, never going barefoot, not even to the bathroom at night, and I kept a cushiony towel in the bottom of the shower.

Good luck.

o

My aerobics instructor thinks it my IT band, that comes from the buttocks around the knee. Its called the Iliotibial Band and the part right by the outer knee is called the Iliotibial Tract. If I touch that knobbybone below the knee cap, I can feel the pull at the side of the knee. A really strange feeling. This getting old sucks!

o

The instructor may be correct but it is best to be properly diagnosed and then be treated for what is going on.

Your best bet is to see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in knees to diagnose your knee problem and it would also be best to have your PF properly treated as well.

Both problems, left untreated with proper medical guidance and diagnosis will feed off of each other and continue to create havoc in your body. It can throw off your spine and create serious spinal problems as well.

I had PF once, and under proper medical treatment and custom orthotics, I have not had a problem in 10 years now.

Fran

o

Another vote for custom orthotics for the PF. I had a serious case for many years and since the first three sets of orthotics(all from different podiatrists) didn't help I was planning to have surgery. I tried one more doctor and the 4th time was a charm.

Good luck with your knee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here