Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody had a hysterectomy?

Posted by gandbb (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 21:07

What was the recovery time? It looks like I am headed in that direction and I am wondering what to do about my summer plans. I had a longer than usual recovery with both my previous, unrelated surgeries and am afraid that summer vacations may be unrealistic for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody had a hysterectomy?

Skip making summer plans for this year. It's not so much as how long it will take you to get over the surgery, it's the lasting effects of having anesthesia. It can make you feel yucky for months sometimes. You will have to be careful about lifting things (no suitcases, etc.) and you will tire easily. So unless you are going to have a real laid-back, do-nothing vacation, you would be better off staying in and taking it easy. Doctors usually want six weeks of GOOD BEHAVIOR before they allow normal activities.

o

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1986 (still have one ovary). In four weeks I was walking (slowly) at the park around the track. I was going to be out of work for 8 weeks, but I went back to work after 6 weeks.

o

Thank you. I m still hoping a hysterectomy won't be necessary. I had a biopsy today. My that was painful. I should know next week what, if anything, I am looking at. I am hoping to be able to travel to Arizona in a couple of weeks, so I need to figure out what to expect.

o

If it turns out that you need the surgery, perhaps you can schedule it after you get back. Usually, unless it's an emergency surgery of some sort, it will take a couple of weeks or so to get it on the OR schedule in a busy hospital.

o

I agree that you should be able to take your trip to Arizona and if the surgery is deemed necessary, ask your doctor if it can be scheduled later. Sorry that your biopsy was painful. I have a very low tolerance to pain myself!

My surgery was medically necessary, as I had a large tumor, so I wasn't one of those "unnecessary hysterectomies".

o

My hysterectomy was easier than having my 3 kids at 10Lbs each.They said ask for pain medicine.I didnt have any.I had mine done vaginally

o

It was benign. No hysterectomy for me, at least not right away. My doctor thinks my ovaries were trying to squeeze out a couple more eggs - hence the bleeding. I am 58. this is ridiculous.

o

Bulldinkie, mine was done vaginally, too. The thing that has the camera on it went into my belly button- I now have an outie- and two bandaid slits on each side of my abdomen, which I can't even see now. Also a tape to watch of the operation whenever I want to remember what it was like. Wonder what I've done with that.. I don't remember any long recovery time.

o

Gandbb, if you have made it to age 58 with no hysterectomy, maybe you will never need it! I was only 36 when I had mine. My doctor told me it was all in my head that my hysterectomy caused me to gain weight. I did gain a lot of weight and it even changed my personality (hormonal thing you know!)

If you don't need it, don't have it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here