SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Diverticulitis, anyone? Despite high fiber diet?

angiepangie
10 years ago

I first had a scope when I was 24, and it showed diverticulosis (which for the sake of spelling I will call D). The GI thought it was weird, because I was so young, and also I was a vegetarian.

Fast forward to now, age 38- and I just had my first bout of actual diverticulitis (which I will call DV). Dear God that was AWFUL.

I was scoped yesterday- and I have D on my ascending colon- which is pretty rare, my spleenic flexure, and the decending colon. Not allot of D's all over the place, but more than you would expect in a person my age, who does eat healthy.

My GI does not agree I eat enough fiber. I use myfitnesspal.com to track what I eat, and I presented her with several pages of my food diary which shows I get about 25-30 grams per day. (she still refuses to believe me, I think because my colon looks like someone who eats like crap and is constipated all the time). She lectures me on not eating red meat, getting fiber, eating beans, blah blah blah. She doesn't listen when I tell her, we DON'T eat meat- we eat it like twice a week, and it's chicken breast, also we eat fish twice a week- we eat lots of veg and fruit. No soda. Barely drink, don't smoke, eat fried foods or lots of sweets, etc.

She tells me to improve my diet but I don't know how. She tells me to avoid being constipation, but I never am.

Has anyone else gotten D or DV despite eating healthy? I am so scared this will come back. It's been 3 months and I STILL hurt. Even on the scope she did yesterday- no infection but she can't find a reason why I still hurt, or advise me on anything apart from diet.

I know, find a new Dr right? I can't do that right now.

Comments (3)

Sponsored